Author Topic: William Currie  (Read 2532 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Currie
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 July 16 23:24 BST (UK) »
Well done pharmaT smashed your brick wall ;) :D
Rosiev

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 July 16 23:57 BST (UK) »
Was registered as Collie father George.  In Rothiemurhus in December 1819. :D
Why did I not think of Collie before?

Well done Pharma (how on earth did you uncover that)  ???

That has to be one of the biggest transformations of any surname I have seen in a very long time which is NOT a transcription error.

I wonder how Collie became Currie or Currie became Collie  ??? Maybe the Minister was deaf  ::)

I doubt ANYONE would have thought of Collie for Currie  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 July 16 00:03 BST (UK) »
Was registered as Collie father George.  In Rothiemurhus in December 1819. :D
Why did I not think of Collie before?

Well done Pharma (how on earth did you uncover that)  ???

That has to be one of the biggest transformations of any surname I have seen in a very long time which is NOT a transcription error.

I wonder how Collie became Currie or Currie became Collie  ??? Maybe the Minister was deaf  ::)

I doubt ANYONE would have thought of Collie for Currie  ;D

Annie

I searched for a birth in Rothiemurchus of a William to a George between 1818 and 1822 and went through all possibilities (not sure it would work somewhere bigger).  William was, I'm lead to believe a Gaelic speaker so I'm guessing he had a very strong accent when he spoke English.  He married in Newcastle so guessing that the Priest didn't understand him and guessed,the name was then repeated at baptisms and so on forward.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 July 16 01:23 BST (UK) »
But the birth was recorded in Scotland as Collie....sounds nothing like Currie to me unless he possibly had a speech impediment (George) & couldn't pronounce the letter "R"..not impossible ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 July 16 01:35 BST (UK) »
But the birth was recorded in Scotland as Collie....sounds nothing like Currie to me unless he possibly had a speech impediment (George) & couldn't pronounce the letter "R"..not impossible ???

Annie

I've been digging around, that's whyour I'm up so late. William is the only one to be called Currie from his marriage and then his descendents forward. His birth, parents marriage and father's baptism (all in Scotland) are recorded as Collie (as written not just transcribed).  His siblings who seem to.have remained in Scotland stay as Collie.

William had moved to Northumberland by the time he married but seems to have grown up in the Gaelic speaking inland Invernesshire. His accent would be very different to the local one. I'm guessing the Priest has misunderstood, not understood at all and guessed or not been familiar with the name and assumed speech impediment. If William couldn't read or didn't read it and then presented the certificate when registering children's births then I can see how change stuck.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 July 16 01:36 BST (UK) »
Meant to add Collie changed to Currie  not other way round.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 July 16 02:07 BST (UK) »
Pharma...

I think you have done an excellent job in breaking down that wall for sure as it has now opened up a different Surname which may lead to some interesting finds.

I had never heard of the surname Collie until now & if I had come across it I would definitely have dismissed it so well done for your perseverance.

Annie

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 July 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
Well done for persevering!

Now that you have made the breakthrough....is this the family you found for William? http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cmricha/fam2977.html
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=amandataylor&id=I13687

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 July 16 14:08 BST (UK) »
A fly in the ointment, from here http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=amandataylor&id=I3239&op=GET which includes:

....Alexander COLLIE married Janet (perhaps Jessie) ROSS. They had a son George COLLIE who married Janet MacDONALD and their son William COLLIE married Catherine FRASER. William and Catherine immigrated from Scotland to Ireland, where their son William Ernest COLLIE was born (1849) and George (1850) in Limerick, Ireland. William went to Victoria, Australia and married Catherine RYAN and they had two children born in Victoria (Robert William Collie b1880 and Lottie COLLIE b.1881). He then came to Invercargill NZ and onto Dunedin, New Zealand, where he was a Hotel Owner...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk