Author Topic: William Currie  (Read 2531 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Currie
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 July 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
A fly in the ointment, from here http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=amandataylor&id=I3239&op=GET which includes:

....Alexander COLLIE married Janet (perhaps Jessie) ROSS. They had a son George COLLIE who married Janet MacDONALD and their son William COLLIE married Catherine FRASER. William and Catherine immigrated from Scotland to Ireland, where their son William Ernest COLLIE was born (1849) and George (1850) in Limerick, Ireland. William went to Victoria, Australia and married Catherine RYAN and they had two children born in Victoria (Robert William Collie b1880 and Lottie COLLIE b.1881). He then came to Invercargill NZ and onto Dunedin, New Zealand, where he was a Hotel Owner...

Monica

Oh bother, but everything else fits with my William's marriage, census returns and death certificate. Even gave his father's profession as Mason. Also looking into family there appears to be connections slightly further south in Kingussie where my William's oldest daughter (second child) was born.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 July 16 14:40 BST (UK) »
Right the marriage between William Collie and Catherine FRASER is in Inverness itself. There are 2 William Collies born in Invernesshire in the same year. One in Inverness itself the other in Rothiemurchus. My William's gives is place of birth specifically as Rothiemurchus. Roll on payday (6days) so I can buy more credits.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 July 16 15:57 BST (UK) »
Do you have a subs to a/try? There is this family tree for William Collie and Catherine Fraser here http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/24041054/person/5040535822/facts

From what is shown there, it would take that William out of the picture. It shows him born c. 1807 to a John and Barbara (russell). A move to Ireland and then the move to Australia etc as showing on the link above.

That keeps it all back on track hopefully for the other William, son of George and Janet.... ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 July 16 17:51 BST (UK) »
Do you have a subs to a/try? There is this family tree for William Collie and Catherine Fraser here http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/24041054/person/5040535822/facts

From what is shown there, it would take that William out of the picture. It shows him born c. 1807 to a John and Barbara (russell). A move to Ireland and then the move to Australia etc as showing on the link above.

That keeps it all back on track hopefully for the other William, son of George and Janet.... ;)

Monica

Oh cool, I found his baptism before I ran out of SP credits.