Author Topic: Missing Nellie Harrison (nee Lane)  (Read 1933 times)

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Nellie Harrison (nee Lane)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 July 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
Where's Arthur?

Jamjar

Finally Arthur's death certificate arrived and (for a change)(winks @ claire) it was the right one (lol) !

He died on 20 Jan 1961 at 32 Oakley Avenue, Barking, Essex - his son in law Slinn was the informant.

Yes I do have Nellie's death cert, her daughter at an Essex address was the informant, so I took pot luck and ordered what I thought could be Arthur's death cert!

I'm just eager to find out where Nellie and Arthur were laid to rest - it's a baffling mystery. Was hoping a living descendant might see one of the posts and be able to help put the mystery to bed!

Newton in Makerfield later Newton le Willows, was a sub district of Warrington Reg Dist, then got it's own Reg Dist before falling into the St Helens Borough after the Lancashire mess up of the early 1970s!

Ironically some of Newton church records are kept in Wigan, certificates may have been kept in Warrington or in some cases moved over to St Helens - it's very frustrating, so I usually order from the GRO direct, which provide an actual copy rather than a handwritten transcribed copy!

One Newton ancestor who died in Warrington in the 1950s was cremated in Manchester, as the other crems hadn't even opened at that time, despite his relatives being buried in Newton.

I've just received another death certificate of another ancestral relation who died at the Cottage Hospital in Newton, who also has no burial or cremation listed on the St Helens burials online website, as you might expect, despite all other siblings listed on there too!

What went on in that hospital!?! lol

thanks for posting and for the info!

best wishes

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 July 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
PS

Mrs Slinn, daughter of Arthur and Nellie appears on her uncle Sellers death certificate in the 1990s, at an address in Derbyshire - I found that out today too ! They're driving me dizzy!  :o ;D

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 July 16 23:02 BST (UK) »
Evening   :)

Very droll Mr Plimmerian :) ..... we shall get there in the end ;)

It's very weird not being not able to find them anywhere, I'm at a loss to suggest anything.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AddictedtoFamilyTree

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 July 16 23:30 BST (UK) »
Just a few thoughts....

Leigh Crem is nearer than Manchester, its just up the East Lancs road near Pennington Flash.

Have you looked under Warrington too as she got married there?

I think Newton le Willows was linked with Winwick Parish at one point too?
Frost, Quine, Stowell, Atherton, Gill.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 July 16 23:36 BST (UK) »

I've checked Warrington burials she isn't there ~ see prior post.

I know it's a long shot but what if they are buried in Essex ~ obviously when Nellie died her daughter was living in Essex ~ Arthur died in Essex, even if to rule it out, I can't understand why nothing is showing up here in Lancashire ???

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 July 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
Would they have transported the deceased Nellie all the way to Essex for burial or cremation if Arthur was still living up here in Lancashire?

I think Winwick was the Mother Church to the Newton churches!

I think Wargrave Emmanuel is the parish church of Newton, even though St Peter's is an older place of worship - it gets complicated!

By Leigh Crem do you mean Howe Bridge, Atherton?

Thanks

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 July 16 23:57 BST (UK) »

Not sure, maybe she was cremated here and her ashes interred in Essex. Just clutching at straws really.

When you think about how many indexes there are online for Lancashire and around that area, it's driving me nuts...and we won't mention Jones :o

Barking/Dagenham cemetery indexes are supposed to be online, but the link isn't working for me

:(

Offline AddictedtoFamilyTree

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 July 16 23:58 BST (UK) »
The Warrington.gov cremations and burials certainly isn't 100% complete. I've searched for my mothers cremation to confirm the date in 1994 along with my paternal Grandparents cremation and burial and non are on the website when I know they were cremated there are other names have come up with more recent dates. Strange. If Nellie is down south, other than her death registration, there would be no formal requirement for any record to be made of where she is laid to rest if it was done in another county is there? I don't remember those questions being asked when I registered my Grandfather in Lancashire when his body was going back to Cheshire... Maybe check in the areas where the informants are?

My other thought was did the Cotttage hospital have its own burial place or link with a church? I know that MRI had plots at one of the Manchester cemeteries and they mainly went in unregistered. Prestwich Asylum laid its deceased patients to rest at a local church in a mass grave, there is now a memorial there to pay respects to the un-named patients burried there...

Winwick Parish Church is one of the oldest in the area.
Frost, Quine, Stowell, Atherton, Gill.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 July 16 00:01 BST (UK) »

That's a good thought AddictedtoFamilyTree ;D ~ about the Cottage Hospital