Author Topic: The family of George KENNY, Uppingham 1920s  (Read 5677 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: The family of George KENNY, Uppingham 1920s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 July 16 13:09 BST (UK) »
Now here's an interesting little cutting and I wonder if it's of relevance:

From the Stamford Journal May 17th 1924:

"GRETTON: Gretton and Harringworth Nursing Association Baby Show: Babies over 6 months and under one year: 1st equal Cyril Kenny"

Category fits date; Gretton is the ancestral home; I haven't seen another local Cyril Kenny!
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 July 16 08:57 BST (UK) »

Jomot, short of ordering both certificates I have sent an email to the GRO this morning asking them if they could clarify this issue. (I did once find a death which had been registered twice and two certificates issued about three weeks apart!)

Well, the GRO were their usual helpful selves.

<i>"The further entry could be a re-registration. Without reviewing the entries, this could not be confirmed. The records are not linked, therefore, we are unable to compile family trees or trace people.  The only information that can be supplied by this office is in the form of a birth, death or marriage certificate. We are unable to confirm details regarding potential entries without an order being placed."</i>

Another oddity arose over the weekend. Although it was assumed George Joseph Kenny was born in Caldecott abt 1871, no such name appears in the indexes. Also, as Caldecott is fairly small (66 entrie sin the 1911 census) I scrolled through 1871 - 1891 censuses but couldn't find a family that matched in the village.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 July 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
Well, the GRO were their usual helpful selves.

<i>"The further entry could be a re-registration. Without reviewing the entries, this could not be confirmed. The records are not linked, therefore, we are unable to compile family trees or trace people.  The only information that can be supplied by this office is in the form of a birth, death or marriage certificate. We are unable to confirm details regarding potential entries without an order being placed."</i>

You could always try contacting the local registrar, which I think would be Rutland Register Office, although a friend of mine had to contact them recently and didn't find them particularly helpful unfortunately.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i28/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 July 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Will give that a try - but won't hold my breath!

Alan

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 July 16 13:03 BST (UK) »
Delighted to have got back a very quick response from the Rutland Register Office:

<i>"Thank you for your enquiry; we do love a mystery!
 On this occasion it transpires that the former entry was registered in the wrong district (it should have been registered in Uppingham’s sub-district of Barrowden).  The subsequent Registration is therefore a re-registration with the same details.
I hope this simplifies matters."<i>

Alan

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 July 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
Delighted to have got back a very quick response from the Rutland Register Office:

<i>"Thank you for your enquiry; we do love a mystery!
 On this occasion it transpires that the former entry was registered in the wrong district (it should have been registered in Uppingham’s sub-district of Barrowden).  The subsequent Registration is therefore a re-registration with the same details.
I hope this simplifies matters."<i>

How good of them to come back so quickly and with the full explanation - wish they'd been as helpful with my friend :-X   So now its back to the original puzzle of what happened to Edna after that !!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 July 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
I've dug out the Kenny / Chambers marriage certificate again. It's interesting in many respects. The groom is named first as George Joseph Kenney (the Kenney is then crossed out and replaced with Kenny) [He is also a groom - occupation!] His age is reported as 45 years

His father is declared to be Joseph George Kenney (again Kenney crossed out and replaced with Kenny) His profession is listed as coachman. Presumably that would place his father's dob around or before 1840.

I haven't found any suspicion of a Kenn(e)y family in the Welland Valley area.
Also, the witnesses at the wedding are both from Edith Eleanor's family

I wonder if they were Irish

Alan

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 July 16 18:27 BST (UK) »
Slowly, slowly, step by step.

I found an entry for a George Joseph Kenny (age 39) in the 1911 census. He was working as a coachman for farm bailiff Richard Dunster at Pitts Gate Farm, Lamberhurst, Kent. His place of birth is given as Wingfield, Berkshire - but this also appears to be a dead end.

Alan

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 June 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
the following message has been sent to us by pressing the "report to moderator" button instead of the reply button, you will find this further down at the bottom of the topic ;)

Regards

Sarah

Hi Alan, my mum Aileen Fisher is the daughter of Cynthia Dunkley (Kenny) who’s father was George Joseph Kenny and whose twin brother was Michael Kenny.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk