Author Topic: Can anyone identify this uniform, please?  (Read 3533 times)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify this uniform, please?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 July 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
Looks like mother and son to me,  the eyes have it!
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 July 16 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies, James, Ady, Ruskie, km1971, Frank, Jebber and purlin - all very interesting.
 Am now thinking that this was not my ggrandfather, but his nephew, Jack Flecknell, b. 1900, who looked very like him as a younger man.  In another photo, he is standing with who I now think is his brother, Reginald C Flecknell, b. 1888, both in Bolsover,  in the same uniform.  The woman holding his arm is Mary Emma Severn, his mother (not his sister, as would have been the case with William).   As Purlin says, the light eyes are very distinctive, and my grandfather looked very similar to the old lady - without the hair, her face could have been his.  I'm now thinking that she is possibly William's grandmother,  Mary Anne Severn (though other pics I have of her seem different, can't find anyone else who it could be).  Mary Anne was born in 1846, and lived to be 92.
West - Derbyshire, Staffs - Frost - Derbyshire, Staffs -Salmon - Kent, Canada - Severn - Derbyshire, Sheffield - Cary Williams - Kent - Taylor-Harden - Staffs - Berresford - Derbys - Dennis - Derbys/Staffs - Tibbert- Nthhnts - Blackham - Derbys - Slade - Bucks
Dewberry - Nthhnts/Loughborough - Barron - Cornwall - Hunkin - Cornwall

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 July 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I meant William's mother (my grandfather was also William)!
Frosty
West - Derbyshire, Staffs - Frost - Derbyshire, Staffs -Salmon - Kent, Canada - Severn - Derbyshire, Sheffield - Cary Williams - Kent - Taylor-Harden - Staffs - Berresford - Derbys - Dennis - Derbys/Staffs - Tibbert- Nthhnts - Blackham - Derbys - Slade - Bucks

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 24 July 16 17:43 BST (UK) »
James (Macintosh)
Liverpool Scottish were still 10th Battalion, The King's (Liverpool Regiment) in WW1 and were not affiliated to the Camerons until some time between the wars.  The Forbes tartan has a white stripe which would show up in a b/w photo.
A

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 July 16 19:05 BST (UK) »
There was a William H Flecknell in the Seaforth Highlanders (S/6149). There's a grandson of that name, born Staveley circa 1893,  with a Severn family in Bolsover in 1901.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frosty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 July 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun - yes, William Flecknell was married to another Severn Sister, Annie Severn (three Severn sisters married three Flecknell brothers)!  Didn't know he was in the Seaforth Highlanders - so there's our link.  Thanks for pointing out William Henry, who was with the Severns in 1901 - I've just found out that he was the son of Mary Emma and Henry Flecknell, born in 1892 - so in 1916 he would have been 24, and his older brother Reginald would have been 28, so more of a match for the apparent ages of the soldiers.  Since it's Mary Emma in the photograph (you can only see her hands here clasping her son's arm - but the photo is bigger than this), then I think we may have solved the riddle of who our boys are - thank you!
Frosty

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 July 16 20:19 BST (UK) »
There was a William H Flecknell in the Seaforth Highlanders (S/6149). There's a grandson of that name, born Staveley circa 1893,  with a Severn family in Bolsover in 1901.

Nice find ShaunJ  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 July 16 22:44 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

It is the Black Watch or government tartan. The Gordons wear it with a pale yellow stripe added as the Gordons had no official tartan of their own.

The Seaforths also wear it but made in a slightly paler colour with white stripe added and call it the MacKenzie tartan.

Both regts wear a curved shoulder title which only differ by one  or two letters. Depends on whether the "S" is on Gordons. They come in both variations.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 July 16 23:09 BST (UK) »
I'll stick my neck out  ;D , had a bit of a play around with the photograph, I think the shoulder title says Seaforth.

(Is that a letter "A" visible near the front of the title? )

Frank.

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands