Author Topic: Percy McDonald - date of birth  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Markly Darkly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Percy McDonald - date of birth
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 July 16 19:23 BST (UK) »

Thank you. However, I do have that marriage certificate. Indeed, I also have a birth certificate and 1891 census record for a Percy McDonald (actually he is born as Percy Vernon but that is another story !!!). What I am trying to prove is that the Percy McDonald/Vernon for whom I have the birth certificate is the same one as the Percy McDonald who died on 23/4/17 in WW1. The one I have the WW1 info is 100% my relative, but not totally sure the birth certificate one is YET :)

Thank you

What is the address for the birth certificate? (I don't think you posted it on the other thread and I meant to ask you about that)

On birth certificate and census, Percy was born in Tarling Street

Offline Markly Darkly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 July 16 19:29 BST (UK) »
If you have Percy's marriage cert. wouldn't that confirm or otherwise the father's name & occupation compared to the censii ?

Unfortunately not. This is the problem - he is called Vernon on the birth certificate with father George Vernon (we suspect that is fictitious) and father is absent on census. It is his sister Florence on census that ties him to the McDonald name - her birth certificate has her as surname McDonald, but mother Ellen Vernon (and it is Ellen that is there in 1891 census with Florence and Percy.

Sorry - hope that made sense!!

Sorry, should have said, on Percy's birth certificate the mother is Ellen Vernon formerly McDonald.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 July 16 19:39 BST (UK) »

Thank you. However, I do have that marriage certificate. Indeed, I also have a birth certificate and 1891 census record for a Percy McDonald (actually he is born as Percy Vernon but that is another story !!!). What I am trying to prove is that the Percy McDonald/Vernon for whom I have the birth certificate is the same one as the Percy McDonald who died on 23/4/17 in WW1. The one I have the WW1 info is 100% my relative, but not totally sure the birth certificate one is YET :)

Thank you

What is the address for the birth certificate? (I don't think you posted it on the other thread and I meant to ask you about that)

If the birth certificate says Tarling Street and the 1891 census does too (and has Ellen and Florence with him) then I think that ties the birth certificate to that Percy. And Florence's details checked out with family information so it seems good to me ::)
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Markly Darkly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 July 16 19:47 BST (UK) »

Thank you

If the birth certificate says Tarling Street and the 1891 census does too (and has Ellen and Florence with him) then I think that ties the birth certificate to that Percy. And Florence's details checked out with family information so it seems good to me ::)

Yes, that is the theory, but of course I don't have absolute proof it is the right Florence either, just the coincidence that Florence, Ellen and  Percy are living together. I guess my worry is that  it is a coincidence and just another family of three with the same names. Hence the quest for d.o.b. for military WW1 Percy.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 13:17 BST (UK) »
A couple of observations.
On the 1891 census Ellen is listed as a single woman.
If Florence is named as McDonald but Ellen as Vernon means the Father would have been present at the time of registration.
On Percy's marriage does his leave his father's info. blank ?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Markly Darkly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
A couple of observations.
On the 1891 census Ellen is listed as a single woman.
If Florence is named as McDonald but Ellen as Vernon means the Father would have been present at the time of registration.
On Percy's marriage does his leave his father's info. blank ?

On Florence's birth certificate Florence is called McDonald and her mother is called Ellen Vernon. Father is blank.

On Percy's birth certificate, Percy is called Vernon, Ellen is called Vernon formerly McDonald and the father is called George Vernon. There is a theory that George Vernon is a fictitious father.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
On Florence's birth certificate Florence is called McDonald and her mother is called Ellen Vernon. Father is blank.
I'm reading that as Florence McDonald Vernon.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Markly Darkly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 17:22 BST (UK) »
I'm reading that as Florence McDonald Vernon.

Yes on the BMD records she is quoted as Florence McDonald Vernon but on the cerificate itself it is Florence McDonald in the name column and then Ellen Vernon in the mother column.

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 18:28 BST (UK) »
Strangely...
Baptism St George in the East, Tower Hamlets Oct 6th 1878

Florence Macdonald Vernon born Sep 1st 1878
32, Stratfield St, Burdett Road.
Parents Ellen and Montague Vernon (Commercial Traveller)

Apologies for straying from original question :)

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk