Author Topic: Admiral Robert Honeyman : Female relatives in Brest 1838 ?  (Read 239 times)

Offline AnthonyRYates

• RootsChat Extra
  • G-G-G-G-G-Grandson of Dr Thomas Kirkland
    • View Profile
Admiral Robert Honeyman : Female relatives in Brest 1838 ?
« on: Monday 25 July 16 19:37 BST (UK) »
On the 26th November 1838 my GGGG-Uncle Capt Louis-Francois le Normant de Kergrist of the
French Navy showed 2 Misses Honeyman over his 90-gun ship 'Le Suffren' docked in Brest and gave
them a sketch of his ship as a memento of their visit.  I don't think the Captain ( who had been a
POW in Leicestershire in the Nap.War and had acquired an English wife ) would have given this
 welcome to any visiting British Tourist - I presume the young(?) ladies were some relatives of
Admiral Robert H. of the family who lived at Hall of Clestrain in Orphir. He was MP for Orkney 1796-
1806. Does anyone know who these ladies might have been ? The picture found its way to Lackham
Manor in Wiltshire - did a relative of the Admiral marry a member of the Rooke family ?

Grateful for any information ---- Anthony

Moderator comment: also posted on Wiltshire board -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752780.0
Henry Rodwell Yates
Yates , Kirklands , Turviles and Haywoods in Leics,Derbys area.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.