Author Topic: Thomas (Tom) Spink  (Read 1121 times)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas (Tom) Spink
« on: Monday 25 July 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thomas Spink was born in late 1868 in Gorton, Lancs.. He married Sarah Ann Wright (nee Smith) in Keadby, Lincs., 12 December 1887. They lived in Leigh, Lancs., from at least 1918 and until their respective deaths on 28 January 1924 and 13 September 1933. The property which they occupied in 1918 was one of a row of three terraced type houses, 28/30/32 Brewery Lane, Leigh. This small terrace was owned by the George Shaw & Co., Ltd., Leigh Brewery and was used to house key employees usually on a rent free basis. I'm hoping to learn what the connection was between Spink and the Brewery. I might be clutching at straws but I suspect the information I seek is at best likely to be anecdotal.
(Generally, LEIGH, LANCS)

BOWDEN (Solicitors & Estate Agents)
ECKERSLEY (Cotton Spinners)
HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas (Tom) Spink
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 16 20:21 BST (UK) »
In 1901 his occupation was railway engine driver.  What was it in 1911?

What was his occupation on his death cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
His 1911 occupation is transcribed as Paperhanger but, imho, the original record bears no resemblance to this and is quite illegible (image attached).

I have not yet bought his death certificate but will consider this if it becomes necessary.

There is no probate record connected with his death.

One thing I will try is the local newspaper obituaries which I have easy access to.

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 16 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

His daughter Annie married in 1915 here are the details. His occupation on the cert. could well be that on the 1911 census snippet ~ if you look long enough :) ~ it's easy to see why they ended up at the address they were at in 1918 ;D

St Gabriel Hulme 25 Sept. 1915 after Banns

Arthur Carter 24 bachelor chauffer of Brittania Inn ( City Rd). Father: John Carter~caretaker

Annie Spink 20 spins. of BRITTANIA INN ( City Rd). Father: Tom Spink ~ PUBLICAN

Both signed register
Witnesses: Tom Spink and Edith A Clarke.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 07:23 BST (UK) »
Brittania Inn 238 City Road ,Hulme ,Manchester
see who was there in 1911 census ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
there are    minutes, accounts, share records of the brewery held at Merseyside Records office which might give some info

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 15:58 BST (UK) »
there are    minutes, accounts, share records of the brewery held at Merseyside Records office which might give some info

Thanks for that.

I have copies of all of those (except some of the earlier minutes of the Meetings of the Board which the Archives people have mislaid!). However, the series of minutes from pre-1902 to 1924 (when Spink died) are all available but, I've been unable to find a suitable reference.

[Edit - the Brewery archived minutes of Directors' Meetings that have been mislaid date from 1866 to 1875]

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
Although it has not yet been possible to confirm Thomas Spink's connection with the Brewery, the following event may provide a clue. As stated above, Mr. Spink resided in 1918 at 30 Brewery Lane, Leigh. This property had previously been occupied by James Clifton Rawle, a traveller employed by the Brewery until he was dismissed on 15 April 1916. It is known, by the time of his death by suicide (May 1917) that he had moved to Leigh Road, Leigh, thus leaving the Brewery with one unoccupied house and one traveller light. It is not unreasonable to assume that Mr. Spink was appointed as Mr. Rawle's replacement part of his remuneration, being (as was typical then) accommodation free from rent. This supposition is supported by Mr. Spink's experience in the beer trade, him being cited (thanks ..claire..) as a publican in Hulme, Manchester, at the time of the marriage of his daughter in 1915.

I've revisited the minutes books from 1916 to 1918 (inc.) but still cannot find a reference to Mr. Spink.

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)