Author Topic: T&W Archives - Tynemouth Christchurch  (Read 2778 times)

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
T&W Archives - Tynemouth Christchurch
« on: Monday 25 July 16 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

My query relates to John Wilkinson - 5xGtGrandfather. He was born c 1773 - whereabouts not known but believed to be S.Shields area - married Jane Shakelock in Tynemouth 26/7/1795, by license. She was from Lumley Park born c1773, her father was a fisherman, he was a mariner.
I know they had 7 children, all baptised in Bishopwearmouth, between 1797-1812 - Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Jane, Sarah, John, Sarah & Eleanor. Jane, I believe, was buried 9/3/1829 at Tynemouth Christchurch aged 55.
My queries are:-
1) Did John + Jane have further children in Tynemouth?
2) There is a marriage John Wilkinson to Mary Lock (per freereg) 8/2/1830 @ Tynemouth Christchurch but am not sure if he is 'mine' - is there a copy of the banns that may give more info re John or is there any more detail on the marriage entry?
3) Are there any children of this marriage but I do know that there is another John + Mary Wilkinson, also a mariner, however they married before 1830 and had had a number of children by that date?

Any info/suggestions would be very much appreciated
thanks
Judith

Burrell                         Mitchell            
Armstrong                    Adamson
Holmes                        Anderson
Fleming                        Rudd                  Boustead                      Picken
Huddleston                   Gathin Peele                            Foxall
Whinfield                      Lumley
Lindsley                       Shakelock

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: T&W Archives - Tynemouth Christchurch
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 16 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
2) There is a marriage John Wilkinson to Mary Lock (per freereg) 8/2/1830 @ Tynemouth Christchurch but am not sure if he is 'mine' - is there a copy of the banns that may give more info re John or is there any more detail on the marriage entry?

You can see the marriage entry in the Bishop's Transcripts at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i2d/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 02:49 BST (UK) »
John Wilkinson according to most of those baptisms during the Barrington era (1798-1812) have John Wilkinson as a native of Bishopwearmouth and Jane was a native of Chester-le-Street parish which Lumley would fall under.

John Wilksinson born 2 Nov 1772, baptised 23 May 1773 s/o Thomas and Ann Wilkinson of [Bishop]Wearmouth

How do you know that the burial of Jane Wilkinson in Bishopwearmouth 12 Oct 1816, age 43 is not her?  That baptism of Jane Shakelock d/o William and Mary, fisherman of Lumley Park was 6 Nov 1774 that puts her around age 43 in 1816.

Just giving you more ideas.  It doesn't mean that he could not have married Mary Lock however I am not so sure about that burial in Tynemouth.  Wilkinson is a fairly common name not to mention John and Jane.

In case you don't have it, the 1st Sarah born 1805 died 12 Jul 1808 and buried 14th, age 3.  Eleanor born 1812 died 19 Oct 1812, buried 21st, infant.  Both of Wearmouth and children of John Wilkinson, mariner.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan & Janis.

Janis I'm not really sure why I decided Tynemouth could be right and having looked at the info you have given I'm very much inclined to agree that I was 'barking up the wrong tree'(Although entered on my tree I did have enough sense to add notes that it could be wrong!).

I have been looking for John's birth/baptism and did find son of Thomas/Ann in 1772 - this could make sense as eldest daughter is Mary Ann (Jane's mother is Mary so Ann maybe for his mother) and I have now found a marriage of Thomas to Ann Patterson in Tynemouth (in 1759) where he is shown as a mariner. Do you know where the records are for Bishopwearmouth as they are not on familysearch and I can't find Tynemouth either?

Thank you again for your input and your pointers
Best wishes
Judith
Fleming                        Rudd                  Boustead                      Picken

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 22:51 BST (UK) »
I would think they would be in 2 places--Tyne and Wear Archives and Durham County Record Office..  I myself have transcript fiche by Herbert Maxwell Woods that I purchased.  If they are the IGI you should be able to order the parish record film from the LDS and view it at a family history center near you.

Try this site for the IGI  http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/fs-eng.htm  it is a pretty good site and all are extracted records.  Both Bishwearmouth and Tynemouth are on this site with many entries not on the regular IGI.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 16 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Janis - very useful

Best wishes
Judith

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 16 09:50 BST (UK) »
Durham University North East Inheritance Database has Probate of John Wilkinson, died 6 Dec 1815, Ship Owner of Bishopwearmouth, claimed by his Widow Jane on 8 March 1816. Probate then claimed again by their daughter Mary Ann Wilkinson, Spinster, on 9 May 1818,  as her mother had died before previous Probate was completed. Presumably Mary Ann had to wait until she was 21 to make the claim. Probate claimed jointly on behalf of herself and her siblings : Elizabeth, Jane, John and Sarah, all under the age of 21.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline judith54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 July 16 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

I have got wills for other ancestors but somehow never considered looking for John Wilkinson. Very stupid of me as they are a very valuable source of information or just to see how your ancestors lived.

Thanks again
Judith  :)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 July 16 16:33 BST (UK) »
No burial of a John Wilkinson in Bishopwearmouth for 1815.  He could have died on ship and buried at sea.

Janis