Author Topic: Grier family  (Read 726 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Grier family
« on: Tuesday 26 July 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
Mary Grier was born in the Scotland Rd district of Liverpool in 1912. Parents Thomas Grier and Annie Riley. She married in Liverpool in St Albans Church in 1933 (spouse - Melia). I've found the family in the 1939 register, still in Liverpool, and Mary died in 1991, still in Liverpool. I'd like to find her family before her marriage (to find info about her parents and siblings). Mary had a brother Lawrence Grier who was born about 1914 in Liverpool.
Any help appreciated. Thanks
Lesley

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grier family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

We are not allowed to publish details from 1911 but looking at the index, this looks to be Thomas in 1901 3409/91/9

5 in 2 Court, Walmsley Street

Charles Grier 40 yrs Ship's Fireman
Bridget Grier 37 yrs
Mary Grier   20 yrs
James Grier 14 yrs
Thomas Grier 12 yrs

All born Liverpool
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

I suspect that Thomas Grier married Annie Riley in 1909 and had a son Charles in 1910. Following on from Heywood's post there is a baptism St Alabans Church 1888 born 9 Nov baptised 12 Nov. Parents Caroli (Charles) and Birgitta (Bridget) Murphy. The record also shows he married Annie Riley 2 Aug 1909. (Surname written here as Greer).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 10:51 BST (UK) »
1891 35 Ascot St. Liverpool
Charles Grier 33
Bridget Grier 29
Mary A Grier 10
James Grier 5
Thomas Grier 2
Charles Grier 2mo

Baptisms are also showing for Rosa Ann b 20 Nov 1894 and Birgitta 9 July 1892. Burial records would suggest that they died in infancy (as did Charles Jnr).

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 17:09 BST (UK) »
Carolem [Charles] Greer, 49 Epsom St,  father Jacobi [James]
married Brigidam [Bridget] Murphy 17 Barmouth St,  father Thomae [Thomas]
Married 7 June 1880 at St Albans Liverpool
Witnesses Patrick not too sure of his surname looks to me like Lynn of 9 Carddock? St
Helena Murphy 17 Barmouth St.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
Baptism for Annie Riley as Anna Riley born 6 Oct 1888 Baptised 20 Oct St Albans Church Parents Laurentii (Lawrence?) and Maria Riley.

1901 Paget Street Liverpool
Lawrence Riley 60
Mary Riley 50
Thomas Riley 17
Ann Riley 12

1891 census also has a daughter Mary 5 Her baptism 2 April 1886 (born 19 March) has her mother's maiden name as Lynch.

William

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. This is very helpful. I did my initial searches many years ago, before so many records came online. I'm now trying to tidy up the records before passing them on to my children (Mary was their grandmother). They are particularly interested in the Irish connection, but my records all indicate the Grier family were born in Liverpool as far back as the certificates I could buy go. But this week I found a very convincing tree on ancestry which seems to share many of the same individuals as I have, but shows they were born in Ireland. As the Liverpool Irish often share the same names (and often the same year of birth) I wondered if I'd mixed up more than one family.

I have bought many BMD certificates, and I've checked all the addresses you have given above, and they all correspond with what I found. So far, no Irish roots at all! It may be the Irish connection goes back to one generation earlier than the info Millmoor has provided. I THINK Lawrence's father is probably Bartholomew Grier, though I have no information about him (so he may be Irish). I also think Mary Lynch's father may be Martin Lynch but don't know where he came from (maybe Ireland?)

I have written to the owner of the ancestry tree to see if he can provide any information about the Irish roots he has online. If he has family knowledge from Ireland I'll pass it on here with his permission. I think my son is planning a trek round Irish churchyards when he retires, so I'm hoping to at least point him in the right direction!! Thanks again rootschatters.