Author Topic: Nik Software  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nik Software
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 August 16 12:38 BST (UK) »
Will this program be usable for an amateur(such as I ) ?

Does Nik work 'on its own' or does it need to be run through a program like Adobe elements  (as a plug in)?

CW- You'll have to have appropriate image manipulation software as Nik is a plugin rather than standalone.  Click on the link on my first post and scroll to the bottom to see if your software is compatible.

Carolli - it depends on your definition of amateur. You will definitely need to know how to use basic image manipulation techniques.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline carolli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 August 16 13:51 BST (UK) »
Gadget, I have an image program "Fastone Image Viewer" on which I can alter colours, sharpen, blur etc.
BLOOMFIELD-Suffolk/Lancashire
KIRKBY/SWAIN/CROSSLEY-Lancashire
BYRNE-Dublin/Manchester/Lancashire
McGOUGH-Dundalk/Monaghan/Manchester
SHERIDAN-Dundalk/Manchester
TITTERINGTON-Fylde
ROWBOTHAM-Cheshire
SOUTHGATE-Suffolk/London

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 August 16 14:03 BST (UK) »
I don't think the Nik plugins will work with Fastone, Carol. 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline carolli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 August 16 18:26 BST (UK) »
OK Gadget, I see, it is a plug-in not a program. Thanks anyway
BLOOMFIELD-Suffolk/Lancashire
KIRKBY/SWAIN/CROSSLEY-Lancashire
BYRNE-Dublin/Manchester/Lancashire
McGOUGH-Dundalk/Monaghan/Manchester
SHERIDAN-Dundalk/Manchester
TITTERINGTON-Fylde
ROWBOTHAM-Cheshire
SOUTHGATE-Suffolk/London

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 August 16 23:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gadget, I do have Adobe Elements 14, which I only use for very basic things, so I think I will be able to download and try out. I have also found a couple of videos on YouTube, which may help!

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
One of the things I found difficult is reducing 'vertical stripes' in old photos. I assume they're scanner reflections of the paper grain. Sometimes the stripes are much worse in one of the channels (usually blue) so for B&W photos, find the channels with the least noise is a good idea. For colour photos, we need all channels. My usually good (Topaz) noise removal plugin has little or no effect on stripes. Fast Fourier Analysis (FFT) plugins are often recommended for reducing patterns but I've not had much luck with FFT on stripes (yet).

There are other plugins (like 'NeatImage' $40 - $50) which may be useful. But I found that one of the free Nik noise removal filters (Dfine2) did a pretty good job on stripes. You can play with the number of pixels in the filter to get the best balance between 'noise removal' and 'keeping the details'.

The Dfine2 filter reduced stripes (and other noise) but other details too. So after applying the filter, you need to restore the fine details. I use a history brush to 'paint in' the fine (unfiltered) details like facial features, sharp edges, texture of hair, flowers, dresses, collars etc.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 22:46 GMT (UK) »
ACT NOW BEFORE THE PRICE GOES UP!!

I read Gadget’s thread last year and put it on my mental to-do list to look further into it. Just got around to that and find that in late October the Nik Collection was sold by Google to DxO.

The upside is that the Nik Collection will no longer be an “orphan” and will have ongoing development by that company.

The downside is that the company is working toward releasing a new version in the middle of this year and, reading between the lines, the new version won’t be free.

So I would suggest anyone even vaguely interested should consider downloading the free version asap. (Even the free one now comes with strings attached. They are using it as a marketing opportunity - can’t blame them I guess - by requiring your email address to be put on their “list” before you get the download. You can unsubscribe.)

The old download button from Google’s site now redirects you to this DxO page:

https://nikcollection.dxo.com

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 22:50 GMT (UK) »
You have to register with the new site. Then they send you a link to the old Nik download. I had to do it yesterday for my new laptop. 

I also saved the original .exe file from another computer  :)