Author Topic: STRACHAN and MCCARON  (Read 10202 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
Re: STRACHAN and MCCARON
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 09 March 17 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Thank you for taking such an interest in this mystery and helping me solve - I now have a definite time line but still no information on how Catherine met my Great Grandfather.

1838 - Catherine Gillespie is born Mount Charles, Donegal, Ireland. Her parents were James Gillespie and Catherine Cairns.
1839 - Bernard McCarron is born in Mount Charles, Donegal, Ireland. His parents Bernard McCarron and Helen Harkin.
1858 - Catherine Gillespie and Bernard McCarron marry in Inver, Donegal, Ireland 2 Nov 1858.
1863 - Hugh Butler born, Milton, Glasgow, to parents Hugh Butler and Margaret Rankin
1866 - Catherine gives birth to her first child Hugh McCarron, Derry, Ireland 5th September 1866.
1867 - Catherine gives birth to her second child Isabella McCarron, St Columbs, Derry, Ireland, 14 Dec 1867.
1867 - Mary Crudden born, County Tyrone, 1867 Her parents were Francis Crudden and Catherine Mooney
1870 - Catherine gives birth to her third child Mary Anne McCarron, Derry, Ireland, 25 March 1870.
1871 - Hugh Butler living at 88 Garscube Road with his parents Hugh Butler and Margaret Rankin
1873 - Catherine gives birth to her fourth child Bernard McCarron Jnr, Derry, Ireland, 15 May 1873.
1867 - 1873 Bernard Junior and Isabella die in infancy, Derry, Ireland
1875 - Bernard Snr, Catherine (heavily pregnant) Hugh and Mary Anne leave Derry to travel to Scotland
1875 - The family settle in Glasgow at 39 Muse Lane.
1876 - Catherine gives birth to her fifth child Catherine McCarron, 39 Muse Lane, Glasgow, 9 January 1876
1881 - The family move to 62 Water Street, Milton, Glasgow
1887 - Hugh Butler joins the Army aged 16, May 1887
1888 - Hugh Butler discharged from Army, 'Drunkeness, Incorrigible and Worthless' June 1888
1888 - Mary Anne McCarron marries Hugh Butler, Glasgow, 10th August 1888
1889 - Hugh McCarron marries Mary Crudden, Garnett Hill Chapel, Glasgow, 30 December 1889
1890 - Mary Anne McCarron Butler gives birth to her first child Catherine Butler, 57 Stirling Street, Glasgow
1891 - The family move to 2 Stirling Street, Glasgow
1891 - Hugh McCarron and Mary Crudden move to 65 Maitland Street, Glasgow 
1891 - Mary Crudden gives birth to her first child Kate McCarron, Glasgow
1892 - Mary Anne McCarron Butler gives birth to her second child Hugh Butler, 46 Ann Street, Milton, Glasgow, 16 Nov 1892
​1893 - The rest of the family move to 48 Maitland Street, Glasgow
1894 - Hugh Butler imprisoned for 50 days, for police assault
1894 - Bernard McCarron now calling himself Bernard McCann applies for Poor Relief, 10 October 1894
1895 - Catherine Gillespie McCarron applies for Poor Relief, 23 October 1895
1895 - Mary Crudden gives birth to her second child James McCarron, 160 Cowcadden Street, Glasgow, 11 Feb 1895
1895 - Bernard McCarron is admitted to Glasgow Royal Infirmary suffering from Chronic Bronchitis.
1895 - Catherine Gillespie McCarron dies in an accident at 52 Ann Street, Port Dundas - Severe burns to face and body.
​1895 - Catherine Gillespie McCarron is buried in a paupers grave at St Peters Cemetery, 1900 London Road, Glasgow.
1896 - Mary Anne McCarron Butler appears in court charged with theft, 24 August 1896
1897 - Mary Crudden gived birth to her third child Susan McCarron, 73 Maitland Street, Glasgow
1897 - Mary Anne McCarron Butler gives birth to her third child James Butler, 42 Lyon Street, Glasgow, 12 February 1897
1898 - Death of James Butler, Aged 1 year, 21 Milton Lane, Glasgow, 8 March 1898
1898 - Bernard McCarron applies for entry to the Poor House. Order is granted and his admitted 22 July 1898.
1898 - Bernard McCarron is transferred from the Poor House to Glasgow Royal Infirmary
1899 - Mary Crudden gives birth to her fourth child Hugh McCarron Jnr, Glasgow 
1899 - Bernard McCarron applies for entry to the Poor House this time it is denied due to his failing health.
1899 - Bernard McCarron dies, 47 Stirling Street, Bronchitis, 12 June 1899
1899 - Bernard McCarron is buried in a paupers grave at St Peters Cemetery, 1900 London Road, Glasgow
1900 - Mary Anne McCarron Butler and Hugh Butler appear in court charged with housebreaking at 48 Stirling Street, Glasgow (neighbours house) - Verdict : not proven, 27 Feb 1900
1901 - Hugh McCarron Jnr dies, Bronchitis for 1 month, 22 November 1901, Glasgow
1901 - Mary Anne McCarron Butler imprisoned, Duke Street Prison
1901 - Catherine Butler and Hugh Butler adopted following mothers imprisonment. Went to live with Catherine Woods and her family at 4 The Walk, Alloa, Stirlingshire
1903 - Mary Crudden gives birth to her fifth and final child, Helen McCarron
1909 - Kate McCarron marries Charles James Anderson, St Francis Church, Glasgow, 2 July 1909
1914 - Catherine Butler marries Patrick Keenan, St Lukes RC Church, Hutchinsontown, Glasgow, 8 July 1914
1916 - Hugh McCarron Snr dies at Barnhill Poorhouse, 20 January 1916
1916 - Catherine Butler Keenan gives birth to her only child Hugh Keenan, White Street, Govan, 6 October 1916
1918 - Hugh Butler dies at Barnhill Poor House Inflammation of the Kidneys, usual residence Lodging Houses, Burn Street, Glasgow, 30 Oct 1918

If anyone has anything else to add I would of course be very grateful....

P
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 12 June 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
I'm still working on this thread and was hoping for more help/advice.

I'm still trying to peace together Catherine's life from the time she left Glasgow until the moment she met my great grandfather. Its a short period of time (just over a year) so it should be simple in theory however the reality is a little harder to crack.

When she arrived in Hamilton circa November 1903 She is listed as living at 12 McGhie Street, Hamilton.

I've looked at the census for 1901 and see that at that point the house was lived in by a widow Margaret Leadbetter. Looks like Margaret died of a stroke in July 1903 - whats strange is her place of death is listed as County Police Buildings, Beckford Street. Did Catherine move into the house after Margaret was gone. I'm not sure how I would find out if the house was a council one and what the procedure would be back then as Catherine wouldn't have been on any Hamilton Housing waiting list.

I also found my great grandfather John Strachan at 14 James Street in 1903. Again I've looked this up and it appears three families lived in this building but none are family members of mine.

I'm not sure where else I should look now..

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 12 June 17 19:02 BST (UK) »
I don't think it would have been a council house. Local authority housing was very rare at this time.
Council houses didn't start appearing in Lanarkshire until after WW1 after the introduction of The Housing and Town Planning Act of 1919 (The Addison Act) to build 'homes fit for heroes'. I think the first of these was Woodlands Terrace, Avenue & Crescent in Bothwell built in 1920.

Steven 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 12 June 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
1858 - Catherine Gillespie and Bernard McCarron marry in Inver, Donegal, Ireland 2 Nov 1858.
1866 - Catherine gives birth to her first child Hugh McCarron, Derry, Ireland 5th September 1866.
Eight years is a long time after the marriage before the first child arrives. Also IIRC civil registration of births in Ireland did not begin until 1864.

Could it be that Hugh is the first recorded child, and that there were in fact three or four unrecorded older children?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Monday 12 June 17 21:32 BST (UK) »
Paul, the 1905 Valuation Rolls show that 12 MacGhie Street was owned by a James Frew and the property was tenanted to a John S Weir. SP only have a small number of Valuation Rolls imaged online. If you were to be able to do this locally, a search of the Valuation Rolls around 1903 to 1904 would produce other names maybe.

The 1895 Valuation Rolls show: James Frew as proprietor of House and Stable, 12 McGhie Street and Margaret Leadbetter as tenant. Also, a James Gilmour, proprietor of Wright Shop 12 McGihie Street, tenanted to a William Neilson.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 14 October 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
I'm reaching out on this one again with some new information in the hope that someone is a better detective than I am.

I hope everyone is safe and well during these challenging times.

The witnesses at John and Catherine's wedding were Thomas and Eliza Taylor - Could they be the link I'm looking for.

As per the 1904 valuation roles there's a John Taylor is living at 12 Guthrie Street which is a 2 min walk from MacGhie Street.

However I can't fine John and Eliza on a census in Hamilton or a marriage for them or a death for either. I am thinking if i can track them down it might indicate how Catherine and John Strachan met - were the Taylors friends of Catherine - is that why she ended up in Hamilton or were they friends of john Strachans and introduced the couple?

It's the only fresh lead I currently have

PLEASE HELP

P x