Author Topic: Charles William Smith, Manchester  (Read 3345 times)

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William Smith, Manchester
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 July 16 17:45 BST (UK) »
What I posted yesterday seems never to appeared here so I shall try to retype much of what I said which may answer some of your questions.
The family in Canada knows for sure that Eliza/Elizabeth Smith married John Whittaker (Mar. 1904) and ironically John's youngest daughter Rose Whittaker (b. 1892) married Albert George Smith in 1919. Albert served in the Canadian Forces during WWI and they must have connected during his time in England. Rose came back to Canada with him that year. John Whittaker's marriage record says that he married an Eliza Crisp so I was assuming that she had married someone else after her husband abandoned her or else she gave a false name or an incorrect one was recorded.
All of Eliza's children had the same father so I think you are referring to the discrepancy in her father's names. On the 1911 census, when she is listed with John Whittaker as his wife (name shown as 'Elizaburth') she says she was born in Paddington and gives an exact street address. 4 or 5 years ago I tried researching that address and any who may have lived there but I did not find any connections at all. I have just hauled out all the old files and will see if there is anything on any record that would help but I am quite sure I was very careful before ever putting them away.
Perhaps Charles Smith and his older sister Alice wound up having happy lives in adulthood; we can only hope so! The eldest sister Elizabeth Amelia Smith died at the age of 26, unmarried, with a 5 year old son named George Roland Smith. Dr. Barnardo's records say that he was sent to Quebec in Canada but I can find nothing on him here. We know nothing more about Alice. Ada & brother Albert worked for various people when sent to Canada before they were teenagers. It would seem though that there was some contact with their mother as Ada had a picture of her mother as an older woman.

Both would appear to be the right person but why the discrepancy in places of birth I don't know! Perhaps she lived in Paddington at one time and gave that as her place of birth.

Jennifer

Jennifer,
It's all so sad!
May I ask how you know that Eliza Amelia (Rose) Smith became Elizabeth Crisp then Elizabeth Whittaker.
I am puzzled and worried about the different fathers and the year and place of birth discrepancies.
Heywood

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 July 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
I *think* it would be the mother if it's the right person but I believe there were other Eliza Amelia Smith's with Smith being the maiden name. Records indicate that the daughter's name was Elizabeth Amelia and that she never married. She would have been 17 or 18 in 1896.

Hi

Marriages Sep 1896   (>99%)

De Bell  Joseph Henry      Wandsworth  1d 1181   
Smith  Eliza Amelia     Wandsworth  1d 1181   
Squibb  James                Wandsworth  1d 1181   
Sullivan  Margaret          Wandsworth  1d 1181   

mother or daughter ?

Regards Marj

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 29 July 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
I realise we are going off the search for Charles but I would imagine that is going to be very difficult because of the surname.
Thanks for the explanation re the Whittakers. I just couldn't see the connection.

I can't see any connection to Eliza/Elizabeth Rose but the male at that address in 1861 and 1871 has a Devon birthplace.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 29 July 16 20:08 BST (UK) »
I guess so often we have to work back in the family line before we can move forward so it's all pertinent. Thanks for pointing out the Devon connection. Some things we may never know which is why we were so hopeful we might find any descendants of Charles...

I realise we are going off the search for Charles but I would imagine that is going to be very difficult because of the surname.
Thanks for the explanation re the Whittakers. I just couldn't see the connection.

I can't see any connection to Eliza/Elizabeth Rose but the male at that address in 1861 and 1871 has a Devon birthplace.

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 30 July 16 01:50 BST (UK) »
I have just come across a photograph on which someone wrote "Charles & wife, 1962, Manchester". So he lived until at least then and possibly for some years after that. In checking the deaths in the Manchester area from then on there are a more than a few who would have been born the same year he was. If only the photo had his wife's name on it!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 July 16 07:07 BST (UK) »
That's frustrating.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk