Author Topic: George Taylor Walker born 1827 in Paisley  (Read 7352 times)

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Taylor Walker born 1827 in Paisley
« on: Wednesday 27 July 16 16:06 BST (UK) »
I am looking for confirmation of my thoughts and fears about information I have uncovered on the IGI, about George Taylor Walker born in Paisley, on 3 March, 1827 (parents Matthew Walker and Elisabeth Bertram) I can already hear the groans, never accept anything on the IGI unless you can prove it some other way!!!!!  I know, but this one is quite interesting.  George Taylor Walker was a brother of my husband's great grandmother and I have not found any further information after his Birth Entry in the Old Parish Register, other than a photograph with his sister and her family, which states on the back that he is Captain George Taylor Walker.  On the Ellis Island Records in 1907 a Captain George Taylor Walker, aged 80 years and 3 months sailed from Liverpool for New York, final destination, Mexico!!!!  Which brings me to the IGI entry which shows a marriage of George Taylor Walker, parents as above to Gila Apodaca Ibarra in Aguajito Choix, Mexico on 24 July 1869.  Please, what are others thoughts - have I found the correct man or do I just add it to the 'Maybe Folder'.   
I would really appreciate any feedback.  Thank you in advance for reading this very long post.  isk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: George Taylor Walker born 1827 in Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 21:46 BST (UK) »
Your info looks pretty good for him, isk!

That marriage in Mexico, with parents matching what you have looks pretty conclusive you are on the right track for him.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry showing he had a family in Mexico and that he died there. Same parents shown

Norma

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 16 01:27 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks Monica and Norma.  I did see the death and the birth of the 4 children but it was such a huge leap from Paisley to Mexico that I just wanted other folks opinion.  What an amazing life he must have had.  Again many thanks, I do appreciate your interest.   isk.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 July 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
It sounds as though searching for his maritime records would be the next step   :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 July 16 14:15 BST (UK) »
I agree with you and I will take on that challenge once my wee sister goes home to Oz at the beginning of September .  isk

Offline AFW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 October 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hello isk-
Thank you for your posting. My Great- Great- Grandfather  was George Walker who married Gila Apodaca. They had a son , Jorge Walker who Married Mariana Borboa, My Great- Grandmother. They  lived in Choix, Sinaloa, Mexico. My Grandfather's name was Efren Walker Borboa-  who married my Grandmother Elisa Gastelum Soto. 
If you do not mind me asking
What made you want to search for our family tree?  My brother and I  have been researching our ancestry and came accross your post. Thank you soo much for sharing the information, it is a great feeling to know where we come from and we would love to learn more about our family.  Kind Regards

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello AFW
How exciting to hear from you.  Your great great grandfather's sister, Isabella was married to my husband's great grandfather Duncan Walker.  Their surnames are the same but they were not connected except by marriage.  Duncan, who was a Wine & Spirit merchant in Glasgow married Isabella in Glasgow, on 24 January 1862.  They had 4 sons, George Taylor Walker, born 25 December 1864, Archibald Walker, born 30 September 1866, Alexander Walker,( my husband's grandfather) born 23 August 1868 and John Cameron Walker born 5 August 1870.  Isabella died in Glasgow 26 January 1885.  George Taylor Walker was a name carried on down through the family for a couple of generations.  My husband's uncle being the last on our side.

Hope to hear from you again.  Best wishes from Scotland.

isk

Offline AFW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 October 16 04:06 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thank you for all the great information. I will share with my brother and ask my mom for more pictures from one of her albums.  I am trying to upload two pictures I have of my grandfather, Efren Walker  and of my mom when she ,my Aunt and Uncle were little to see if there was any resemblance.

A little bit about me, I am married and have 3 children. Ironically my husband's  grandma was from Scotland and his grandfather from Ireland. They met in New Jersey.
This might be a silly question...do you happen to know how tall was he? My kids are tall, especially my youngest. My mom has a picture of him and my Great Great Grand mother and he looked a lot taller than her.  Just curious and trying to guess his height.

I also, understand he was a Captain of a ship.Was he in the Military? Do you know What took my Great- Great Grandfather to Mexico? I Would love to know more and if you have any pictures you could share it would be wonderful! Thank you very much! Happy we crossed paths!!:)