Author Topic: Tracing information on Charles Jones born in Kidderminster UK in 1825  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing information on Charles Jones born in Kidderminster UK in 1825
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 15:27 BST (UK) »
Children of Charles and Susannah:

Births

Mary Ann 1857 Reg no. 14694

Harry 1859 Reg no. 2054

Alice Jane (Jonese) 1862 Reg no. 617

Frederick 1865 Reg no. 13301

Eva 1868 Reg no. 6794

Deaths

Mary Ann 1857 Reg no. 6488

Harry 1904 Reg no.353

Frederick 1930 Reg no.12347
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline janjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 August 16 06:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you lovely people for your responses. Dear Kay99 I don't have the marriage certificate and I understand that his parents are not listed on it in any case.  He is a mystery man I heard that he was sent to Australia in disgrace because he married his aristocrat mother's secretary who was Susannah Osborne.  I don't have confirmation of his year of birth even. He was from Kidderminster, Worcestershire.  Their first child was born in Australia, please see following.
"Children of Charles JONES and Susannah OSBORNE:
1. Mary Ann JONES b 1857 Ballarat d/o Charles/Susannah OSBORNE [Vic 14694]
Mary Ann JONES died 1857 Ballarat aged 5 weeks d/o Charles/Susannah [Vic 6488]
Mary Ann JONES age 5 wks, Specimen Hill (later known as Eureka Street), Ballarat bur 9 Nov 1857 Ballarat Old Cemetery [Location not known]"

Offline janjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 August 16 06:33 BST (UK) »

Dear Jamjar
Thank you for the list of their children. Eva Carrington Jones was my great grandmother the mother of my Grandmother who was also called Eva Carrington with surname Martin as her mother married Henry Martin.
I found a sketchy record of a family of Carringtons headed by Joseph residing in Kidderminster from an 1841 census.  All the members of the family have ??Carrington next to each record??

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 August 16 07:03 BST (UK) »
It would appear that the Eva born to Charles and Susannah doesn't have the middle name Carrington. Do you have her marriage or death certificate?

The only death to fit has 'Unknown' for both parents and a name of Eva Letitia Martin. An online family tree suggest this is the daughter of Charles and Susannah. Not sure with a cordwainer father that his mother would have been an aristocrat, but nothing would surprise me with family tree research.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 August 16 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

I had a look at the 1857 marriage record on the parish records in Worcester this week and posted the results below. As we can't find him under the name Jones in earlier census years I do wonder if the surname Jones was an alias?? 

Went to the Hive in today.  On the marriage cert Charles is listed as full age - a Cordwainer of the parish of Norton with father Henry Jones - also Cordwainer.   Susannah Osborne is listed as of parish with father John Osborne - Blacksmith.  Susannah's age is unclear but the writing in very poor.  Witnesses Robert Kings and Mary Ann Wak....?
Kay

Also attaching an extract of a pm you sent to me so the info might be of use to other helpers

"I think his records were expunged or altered by his family.  There is no record of him being on the same ship as his wife Susannah when she sailed to Australia in 1857.
I suspect his father's name was Joseph and mother's name was Jane.
There is a record of him living in Ballarat with his son Harry until 1890 then he left for England or Queensland.
Susannah died in 1871. He probably was a drinker as he always had five pound notes to throw around. I guess he was an unhappy man, very sad.
"Charles JONES age 66 (b abt 1824), Residence: Stonefield (Steinfeld) Street, Ballarat, Single, Bootmaker, Religion: C of E, Admitted 5 May 1890, Discharged 20 May 1890, Relieved, Birthplace England, 30 yrs in Victoria (arr abt 1860), Recommender: Gas Company [Ballarat Base Hospital Admissions Index Sep 1856-1913]
Family members thought that Charles JONES was living with his son Harry in 1890 (at 40 Steinfeld Street) then left Victoria either for England or Queensland."

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 04 August 16 07:37 BST (UK) »
I found a sketchy record of a family of Carringtons headed by Joseph residing in Kidderminster from an 1841 census.  All the members of the family have ??Carrington next to each record??

The 1841 census for Joseph Carrington is very faint on the image but I think this is the same family in 1851 living at Horsefair, Kidderminster  with all children born Kidderminster   Joseph is a Master Bootmaker!

Joseph Carrington 49 Boot Maker (Master)    London
Jane    Carrington   53    Alveley, Shropshire,
Charlotte    Carrington 1834 Shoe Binder    Worcestershire    
George Carrington 16 Hand Loom Weaver (Carpet)
Jane    Carrington 12    House Servant
Rebecca    Carrington 9 Scholar

Offline janjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 August 16 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you all again.   
Yes I believe Charles Jones was an alias.
If we could find out where Susannah Osborne was a servant when aged 15 to 18 that might be a lead if we knew the name of the family for whom she worked.
Charles Jones records on the Ballarat Asylum reflects five lines of inmates named Charles Jones, some don't mention any parents names, some entries do.
Jones is a common surname and therefore a perfect surname to use as an alias. 

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 August 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
If Charles did marry under an alias, and he was a member of the gentry, then I feel that he couldn't have been 'a local' because surely someone would have said "That's not Charles Jones, that's Lord Tarquin Farquhar, son of Marmaduke and Magdalene"

Do we have a definite sighting of Charles and Susannah arriving in Aus?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 August 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
To add to the mix we have;
Robert CARRINGTON, age 25 (1826) born Kidderminster, Occp Cordwainer, lodging there in 1851
Census.
Down as Married.
FreeBMD has a Marriage Reg 1850

Looks like he married Mary Ann STEPHENS.
1851 she is a lodger, age 19, with a Son Frederick age 1
Mary Ann is born c 1832 Kiddrr

1861 she is calling herself a Widow and living with her Siblings.
Se now has a Son Alfred age 8;
John Stevens, 24, Head
Mary Carrington, 28, Sister, Widow, Tailoress, born Stourbridge
Alfred Carrington, 8, Nephew
Dinah Stevens, 17, Sister

Cant find any Death Reg for a Robert Carrington before 1861

Did he desert her?

The Robert above seems to fit the 1841;
Joseph Carrington, 35
Jane Carrington, 40
Robert Carrington, 12
Frederick Carrington, 11
Blanche Carrington, 8
George Carrington, 6
Jane Carrington, 3
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)