Author Topic: Pearl More Smieton  (Read 22744 times)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pearl More Smieton
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 30 July 16 06:22 BST (UK) »
Got it. Thanks again Rosie  ;D
Was just going to say don't put the year in but I see you found it  ;D ;D
Rosie

Offline Stillhere2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I just came across your post looking for Pearl More Smieton. I grew up in the highlands and knew her.  I called her Auntie Pearl and I still have a book that she gave me and a painting she did of Menton, probably in the early 50's. My sister also has a painting by her. If you want to know any more about her I will try to help.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 December 17 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Could you tell me where Pearl is buried? I have been researching her sister Maud and her husband.
Mainly Maud's work in the Scottish women Hospital in the WW1 in France. I brought a book of poems Maud had written and sent back home. Pearl had made them up into a book for her. The book must of been sold when Maud died and turn up in an auction, I fell in love with it. I think Maud and Pearl were twins? I will be getting their birth certificates shorty.  I have been researching this family, parents, grandparents and so on and found them a wonderful family.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stillhere2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 December 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I don't know where she is buried but would imagine it will be either Forfar or Aviemore. We moved in the late fifties and at that time she was still in Aviemore. She lived with a Irish companion, who we called Auntie Paddy but I can't remember her full, or real name. Paddy was a Catholic and there was no Catholic church in Aviemore. Pearl paid for land and a small church to be built. This was near the house on the other side of the road. Paddy was buried there and that is why Pearl may be buried there if she is not buried in Forfar.
I did not know anything about Pearl's family but I think my parents thought her family were something to do with Jute mills in Dundee. I would be interested in the family story if you have it. We loved going to see her as she was a lovely lady and her garden was beautiful and colourful.   

Offline AmateurGenealogistPaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 August 21 00:10 BST (UK) »
To the kind person offering more info re:Pearl More Smieton, I wondered if you might be so kind to say if you knew much about ‘Auntie Paddy’ as you described her .. she is my relative and I am similarly trying to follow her amazing story. Could you let me know if you are still on here and we can perhaps open a line of info? Thanks!

Offline AmateurGenealogistPaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 August 21 00:20 BST (UK) »
Could you tell me where Pearl is buried? I have been researching her sister Maud and her husband.
Mainly Maud's work in the Scottish women Hospital in the WW1 in France. I brought a book of poems Maud had written and sent back home. Pearl had made them up into a book for her. The book must of been sold when Maud died and turn up in an auction, I fell in love with it. I think Maud and Pearl were twins? I will be getting their birth certificates shorty.  I have been researching this family, parents, grandparents and so on and found them a wonderful family.

Hi, linked to another post, your comment that Maud and Pearl might be twins - did your birth certificate confirm this? What is really intriguing (maybe not but I like the idea) is that Maud was a nurse and served in WWI but so too was the Auntie Paddy (my relative) who another contributor mentioned was a long term companion of Pearl’s and whom she helped fund the building of the small Catholic (St Aidan’s) church in Aviemore  that was dedicated to the 51st Highland Division whom we are to believe she supported in her WWI nursing duties in Alexandria, Egypt and possibly Gallipoli. I wonder if Pearl and Paddy came into contact via Maud?
Have you come across anything? Has Maud any descendents in the Aviemore area still?

Offline Clare Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 May 22 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, I came across this post while working on some research relating to the Glasgow Ballad Club, of which Pearl More Smieton appears to have been a member. https://libcat.csglasgow.org/web/arena/glasgow-ballad-club. There are typewritten and hand written poems by her within the collecttion.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 May 22 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk