Author Topic: May Davies  (Read 1359 times)

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
May Davies
« on: Friday 29 July 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
Many years ago my mother told me a story about having a sister who died of diptheria as a child. I have recently found her  birth in 1925 (May Davies). I have sent for her birth certificate from Mold Register Office. However, I cannot find her death. I don't know the year. I would have thought that being quite recent, a record would be relatively easy to find. I have looked in Flint and Denbigh burials, the GBD for England and Wales, North Wales GBD and Find My Past. Has anyone any suggestions as to where else I could look?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: May Davies
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 16 17:16 BST (UK) »
Death registrations prior to 1969 do not show full birthyear only age.   "As a child" can mean any age from infancy to early teens and is very much subject to interpretation.

Is your mum or any of her siblings still alive who may be able to give more information? 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 16 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

The North Wales BMD is showing the death of a May Petra Davies in Mold in 1927 (MOLD/40/90)

She would be a bit young but worth checking.

Gadget

Added - a quick flick through to 1939 makes this the most likely.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 16 17:19 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - could she have been admitted to an isolation hospital outside their home county and died there?  Her death would then be registered wherever she died
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
Freebmd are showing the 1927 death as Mary P aged 3 - registered Holywell June qtr 1927 but there is no Flintshire birth for a Mary P Davies 1922-1925

EDIT - full GRO index shows name as Mary P

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 16 17:57 BST (UK) »
It might be worth DING contacting the Mold Office.

I know most of the people who did the North Wales BMD indexing - they were very thorough with a double blind check.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 July 16 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.  No family members left who would know the answer to this. My mum only mentioned it once when I was very young.  I think she would have been nearer to 6 or 7 when she died (but I really don't know). The name Petra would be strange as all the others had only one name.  I am going to pick the birth certificate up on Monday so I will ask in the Mold office (thanks for that suggestion).  There was an isolation hospital in Wrexham (and perhaps Chester) which is why I looked at Denbigh burials but no luck. The family had little money (or time) for doctors so I suspect she would have died at home. 

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
I now have the birth certificate and spoke to a very helpful person in Mold office. She has suggested I ring and request a search for the death certificate. She was quite hopeful because the father's name was David Hazel.

I discovered May was born in St David's College, Mold Rural. Does anyone have any idea where this is/was?

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
There is a Glenys May Davies who died at the Isolation Hospital Wrexham, Adode Ffynon y Berth, Llanarmon age 6 years. She was buried 15/November/1930 at Llanferres, Denbighshire.
Could this be who you are looking for?