Author Topic: Samuel Henry Spraque  (Read 887 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Samuel Henry Spraque
« on: Friday 29 July 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
Can someone please do a look-up on the 1901 census for Samuel Henry Spraque born 1877 in New Tredegar, Bedwellty parish.  For some reason I have not been able to locate him?

Appreciate any help
Thanks
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Henry Spraque
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 16 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Samuel H Sprague aged 23 occ Coal Hewer b New Tredegar is a boarder in MerthyrTydfil, with a Daniel & Elizabeth Richards

Census Ref RG13/5021/154/44
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 16 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi keyboard
Thanks for the details; for whatever reason I couldn't find him on familysearch or ancestry, strange.
The Spraque family were at one time shopkeepers (grocery) at Central Stores, 12 School Street, Brithdir.  They were the first to trade from this particular shop and I am trying to find out exactly when they came to the village. 
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 16 01:06 BST (UK) »
1901 Samuel H is lodging at 5 Charles St Gelligaer Glamorgan (Merthyr Tydfil reg dist)
He married just after the 1901 census and son Thomas Henry was born 1902 in Brithdir - three more children followed (Doris May, Raymond & Haydn before their mother (Rosaline/Rosalie) died

So it seems most likely they came to Central Stores c 1901/1902

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 16 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
Thanks Suz; I've been tracking this family for some time, with a little success and on times hitting a brick wall.  I assume you have seen the 1911 details whereby Samuel Spraque was grocer at Central Stores with a 18 year-old servant possibly helping to look after his young family.  I found a few snippets in the Rhymney Valley Express: April 2 1921 S.H. Spraque was chair for a benefit concert at Beulah church.  At some time the family moved to Hengoed.  On Aug 6 1927 Rev T Spraque of Hengoed was in the pulpit at Wesley church, Brithdir.  The article went on to say he resided in Brithdir all his life time except for the last few years during which the family has resided at Hengoed.  In the months of June and Sept 1929, a Mrs Spraque of Hengoed presided at sisterhood meetings of the chapels in Brithdir.  Then Sept 10 1932: Miss Doris Spraque, the only daughter of Mr and Mrs H Spraque of Brithdir and Hengoed sailed for South Africa on Tuesday.  She had already completed her education at Westhill Training College and leaves to take up a post in Naibori, Uganda, British East Africa where she is expected to stay 3 years.  I made contact with Westhill College some time back but sadly they had no records of Doris's time there.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 July 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
Possibly Samuel Henry Sprague remarried Sept qtr 1913 Merthyr Tydfil - the females on the same page are Nellie Harrison and Elizabeth A Jones

There is a birth reg FreeBMD
Sylvia V Sprague
mother's maiden name Harrison
Sept qtr 1914
Merthyr Tydfil
11a 1641

so wondered if Samuel Henry married Nellie Harrison?

Sadly there is a death reg
Sylvia V Sprague
age 6
Jun qtr 1921
Merthyr Tydfil
11a 646
Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 July 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
Mr S H Spraque of Brithdir is noted as in visitors lists in the Cambrian Bay Visitor of 21 August 1897 (as this is the Aberystwyth edition, presumably to that town)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 July 16 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Mabel
I saw the visitors to Aberystwyth in 1897; interesting page, always good to know how our ancestors enjoyed themselves.
Regards, Roy

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 July 16 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
I thought along the same lines, with such a young family it was likely Samuel would remarry.  I made a start by looking for a marriage for Gwladys Frodd, she was a lot younger than Samuel, but not unusual during the time.  I know of a family named Harrison but Nellie is a new name so I will need to check that out.
Regards, Roy