Author Topic: John Henry Kay - American Serviceman  (Read 2969 times)

Offline maxbaker42597

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Henry Kay - American Serviceman
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm his great grandson.

He was an RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) officer before joining the RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force). He was killed on April 30th 1945 in a plane crash. He was the flight navigator.

He was married to Ann Doris Luttmer and had one son, John Edward Kay (born April 27th, 1942). Ann passed away last week at the age of 95.

Offline garbfink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 March 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Dear Max,

I'm sorry I'm late coming to your reply on this thread - And sorry for digging up an old post to the rest of you on the forum.

I read a lot about your Great Grandfather while looking for my John Henry Kay and I do not believe that they are the same individual. However, whilst researching your Great Grand-Father I was struck by his story and how he sadly died in the plane crash you mentioned.

From his service records and other stories that I managed to find he seemed to have been a very brave individual and a man who wanted nothing more than to serve his country in the defence of the UK, Europe, The Commonwealth and the rest of the world. The way he came to his end was a tragedy and should never have happened and on behalf of myself I would ask you to pass on my personal thanks to you and the rest of your family.

The John Henry Kay that I am looking for is potentially the name of my unknown Grand-Father. All I know is that he died in World War 2 and was part of the Airforce, American or Canadian and that he died during the war. When I stumbled across you Great Grand-Fathers service record a lot seemed to match up but I do not believe that he was stationed in the UK in late 1942 or early 1943 so I have ruled him out as being the individual that I am looking for.

I am sorry to hear about the recent passing of your Great Grand-Mother. Please accept my sympathies.

Regards

Simon.

Carr - Yorkshire
Fulcher - Middlesex
Garbutt - Yorkshire
Kay - United States

Offline johnb8934

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 May 17 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,

I may be able to help.

John Henry Kay was a close friend of mine who died on 28 March 1976  aged 53.

His last rank was Flight Lieutenant in the Royal New Zealand Air Force during WW11

John was 22 years older than me but I seem to recall him telling me that he was attached to the RAF at some stage during the war.

He was born in NZ and died here.  Here are 2 reference sites. Hope this helps

http://www.purewa.co.nz/view/?id=12910

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memorial/online-cenotaph/record/C145673

Could be your John Kay?     

Regards,

John Barney  (Auckland NZ)

Offline johnb8934

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 May 17 06:51 BST (UK) »