Author Topic: gott in penshaw  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Pauline Mackie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
gott in penshaw
« on: Saturday 30 July 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
I have Esther Drummond who married William Gott in my tree,Esther was a daughter to James Drummond,James fled from Culloden after the Jacobites lost the battle,his ship ran aground near South Shields where he was taken in by the Armstrong family of Biddick.

I am looking for William Gott's parents poss birth approx 1715-20

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: gott in penshaw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 16 04:30 BST (UK) »
Penshaw did not have a church until 1752.  Maybe a record in Houghton le Spring or Washington Holy Trinity.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 16:09 BST (UK) »

William & Esther married 30 July 1778 Durham City - why do you think he was born around 1715/20? or do you mean his parents born then? do you have his bap?

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 16:12 BST (UK) »

did William marry again to Mary Bee in Penshaw 28/6/1803 & Have a son Willliam 15/10/1809 Penshaw?

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Wearsider

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gott in Penshaw
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 October 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
Some years ago I found a quite large family tree of Drummonds who descended from James Drummond and Margaret Armstrong.  This gives the marriage of Esther Drummond and William Drott as 30th July 1778 and also shows a son - William Gott, born in 1780 who married Mary Bee on 28th June 1803.

As far as I can see from the tree, which is on 12 A4 sheets, there is a later marriage of Esther Drummond to John Dodds on 24th April 1785.

I have the book 'The Mystery of the Duke of Perth, A Historical Enigma' by Arthur Appleton, however I have been unable to find any reference to Esther Drummond, it only mentions the birth of Anne in 1750, James in 1752 and Elizabeth in 1764.

Wearsider.   
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
Northumberland : Armstrong, Foster, Gill. Nichol.
County Durham Local & Mining History
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline Wearsider

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 October 16 12:10 BST (UK) »
I have studied the Drummond family tree again and I can provide further information from it:

The William Gott who married Mary Bee on 28th June 1803, mentioned in an earlier posting, was the son of Esther Drummond and William Gott.   William and Esther are shown as having 2 children - Elizabeth born ? and William born 1780.

The marriage of William Gott and Mary Bee resulted in 8 children - Isabel b ?, William b 15 Oct 1809, Elizabeth b 18 Oct 1811, John b 1814, James b 1815, Mary b 1819, Esther b 17 Dec 1821 and Dorothy b 28 Oct 1823.

Esther Drummond's second marriage to John Dobbs produced one child - also called John.

There is no indication on the tree as to who William Gotts parents were.

Whereas Arthur Appleton's book only seems to mention James Drummond and Elizabeth Armstrong as having 3 children, the tree shows 7 children.

My gr gr grandmother was Alice Drummond who was b 1808 at Lamesley, however I have been any connection back to James Drummond of Biddick.

Wearsider
UK - County Durham : Bell, Collinson, Drummond, Fullerton, Maughan, Messenger, Nichol, Pallister, Stobbs, Telford, Vickers, Watson.
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline paulinemackie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 November 16 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,thanks for the information,I was in fact looking for William's parents,I have James Drummonds Baptism,can you tell me where you found the large tree with information....Esther was James Drummonds daughter,this makes her my 6th gt grandmother,I have all of James tree but no further back than Williams parents,just need to get down to finding time to keep at it,hope you can understand what I have put here as I'm really tired,but once again thankyou for assistance.

Offline Wearsider

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 16 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I cannot give you any more information than I have already given you.  It was some years ago that I downloaded the tree and there is no indication on it as to the website from where it came.

Wearsider.
RIP 1933-16 th Sept 2017

Offline paulinemackie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 November 16 15:33 GMT (UK) »
  Thankyou Wearsider,will keep plodding on.