Author Topic: gott in penshaw  (Read 2822 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gott in penshaw
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 November 16 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Gott has 40 pages of names on Durham Records Online. I did not realize that is was so numerous.

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Apologies but I've only now read your post. The William Gott that you're interested in is in my direct paternal line. I have lots of information following his marriage to Esther but he is something of an enigma!  I have nothing 'material' until his marriage to Esther. However we know her age, when and where they married, offspring, and his death shortly there after. I haven't been able to 'prove' his identity but there is, perhaps, a clue in his burial record. His occupation is 'Chaise driver'. There is a William Gott who married Dorothy Goldsborough in Darlington. His occupation is shown as 'Postillion'. She died 1774 so perhaps he moved to Durham and married Esther in 1778. I reckon that Dorothy was born 1736 so if he was around the same age he would have been 'a mature man' when he married Esther. As yet I can't find the 'Darlington William's' origin but I'll keep at it!

Offline paulinemackie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 January 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Colchester,

W

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 May 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
Just now getting back into research!  ;D . I believe that Esther was his second wife. He moved from Darlington after the death of his first wife. He was recorded then as a 'Postillion'. I couldn't find his origin so all the paperwork went 'back on the shelf'  :(

Offline paulinemackie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 May 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is'nt that the way of things,have a few who are elusive,will keep trawling in the hops something comes along,thanks for assistance.