Author Topic: gott in penshaw  (Read 1268 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gott in penshaw
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 November 16 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Gott has 40 pages of names on Durham Records Online. I did not realize that is was so numerous.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Apologies but I've only now read your post. The William Gott that you're interested in is in my direct paternal line. I have lots of information following his marriage to Esther but he is something of an enigma!  I have nothing 'material' until his marriage to Esther. However we know her age, when and where they married, offspring, and his death shortly there after. I haven't been able to 'prove' his identity but there is, perhaps, a clue in his burial record. His occupation is 'Chaise driver'. There is a William Gott who married Dorothy Goldsborough in Darlington. His occupation is shown as 'Postillion'. She died 1774 so perhaps he moved to Durham and married Esther in 1778. I reckon that Dorothy was born 1736 so if he was around the same age he would have been 'a mature man' when he married Esther. As yet I can't find the 'Darlington William's' origin but I'll keep at it!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline paulinemackie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 January 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Colchester,

W

Offline Colchester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 May 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
Just now getting back into research!  ;D . I believe that Esther was his second wife. He moved from Darlington after the death of his first wife. He was recorded then as a 'Postillion'. I couldn't find his origin so all the paperwork went 'back on the shelf'  :(

Offline paulinemackie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 May 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is'nt that the way of things,have a few who are elusive,will keep trawling in the hops something comes along,thanks for assistance.