Author Topic: William Williams death in Aberllefari Slate Quarry abt. 1895  (Read 8602 times)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Williams death in Aberllefari Slate Quarry abt. 1895
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks - great map.
family memory must have slipped a bit though - it's hardly "high on the hill" - or perhaps he got the place name wrong.
By the way I forgot to mention my cousins said WLW was a member of the Bethania Presbyterian Church in Corris. (Which explains the civil ceremonies and probably those of his mother's family  too) and he and his wife Rachel are buried in the public cemetery in Corris. He was also on the local councils and was a coordinator arranging placements for refugees around the villages during WW2.
Thanks to you and Gadget there is a good coherent picture of the earlier family emerging.
Ian
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 21:21 BST (UK) »
That information has thrown up another candidate for William.In the 1881 census at Brynderwen,Talyllyn is the family of William R Williams and another Margaret(this one born circa 1836 Tryddyn,Flntshire)Amongst the family is a Walter M Williams and a William E Williams(given born 1875)
In 1891 the family is at Braichgoch Terrace and there is a Walter M at Braichgoch Villa in 1901(though there are 4 Walter M's of approx the same age in Talyllyn!)..and there's a Mabel in the family!

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 17:14 BST (UK) »
I think I have traced the William E Williams of my last post,and he is not your man.As far as I can tell,he was William Edward Williams,and I think he gets married in Wandsworth in 1908.
Perhaps best wait for the marriage certificate you've ordered!

Regards
Roger

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 August 16 18:54 BST (UK) »
Gadget, thanks I tried BMD registers - no luck.
As Roger suggests, I'm going to wait for the certificate hoping that will keep things simple.

I need some simplicity because I've just received a dose of major complexity in my other family search for birth of Henry Jones in Carmarthenshire!
Ian

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 August 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
Gadget, thanks I tried BMD registers - no luck.

You need a bit of luck with the non-conformist registers. Many have just not survived.  I did find a few of mine there  so I thought  it was worth you looking.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 August 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

Dolgellau hold some inquest records - you might be lucky - I was  :)

In the record I found for my relative's accident at Blaenau Ffestiniog apart from describing what happened and what witnesses, etc it also detailed the man's family.

Dolgellau hold the police log books - These are like day books and an accident at the quarry will probably be mentioned in this as well.

It would be worth giving them a ring and if they do have some of the information you need I ma sure someone here would gladly get copies for you when they are next there......

The staff at Dolgellau had searched for the record for me and had it out ready when I got there and they were the ones who directed me to the police books and there was a marker on the right page - they were very helpful.

Nesta

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 August 16 18:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nesta - am giving that a try
regards Ian

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 August 16 00:30 BST (UK) »
good luck
N

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 08:37 BST (UK) »
Getting the marriage cert has cracked open the Williams family history!
Surprisingly, they were older when they married than we thought and that info and their addresses and their father’s names now make it easy to identify the families in census records
The marriage cert of 7/5/1894 from the Register Office Dolgelly shows a civil marriage between:
William Williams 26, Slate Quarrier of Aberlleferri farm Talyllyn with father Robert Williams also a Slate Quarrier, deceased.
Mary Lloyd 24, spinster of Tanrallt Corris, Talyllyn with father Richard Lloyd, also a Slate Quarrier.
Witnesses Robert Williams (subsequently found must be 2 years older brother) and Jane Ann Jones
WW is in 71 with father Robert and then in 81, and 91 census returns with mother Jane Williams widow, farmer of 10 acres Plas Farm and then at Aberlleferri Farm Talyllyn in the 91 returns. WW gave that farm as his address on marriage. Mother must have been married before (Jane Evans?), because WW has Hugh, Evan, Edward, and Humphrey Evans step siblings with him in censuses (still mostly single in ‘91).
Robert Williams must die between ‘71 and ‘81.
Haven’t worked on Mother’s family yet but it clearly isn’t William and Grace Lloyd as previously thought.
It's misleading the newspaper reports have WW as being younger and there is no indication of them having 2 young children when he died, although they were both old enough for one of them to have had children before their marriage.