Author Topic: Bigamy - Mary Ann Duncan  (Read 1061 times)

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bigamy - Mary Ann Duncan
« on: Sunday 31 July 16 21:21 BST (UK) »
It appears that my Great Great Grandmother may have been a bigamist. I was quite surprised to come across this by randomly searching newspapers.

She was arrested in 31 Norwood Street, Belfast accused of bigamy on the 20th February 1885. She had recently married George Brown on the 18th December 1884. The accusation was that he was her 2nd husband. She apparently married a Fortescue Murray in 1877. Her father William Duncan confirmed to the court he attended the 1st marriage in Christ Church. Apparently Fortescue Murray deserted her and was not heard from for a few years. Yet 2 months after her marrying George Brown he turn up in court. On the 25th February 1885 the Morning News reported that she was returned for trial.

I have a few questions.
How long would it typically be from a petty sessions hearing until a trial was heard?
Why did Fortescue Murray vanish?
Any info on Fortescue Murray at all would be good.

Any information, anyone can find about this case would be great. I hope to go to the public record office in the next few months to see what I can find out. Exciting biggest skeleton I found in my tree so far.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bigamy - Mary Ann Duncan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 16 22:03 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this could be the 1st husband Fortescue Murray? (father's name John)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5C9-SJT

Here's one the same age who went to N.Y. in Dec.1885- occupation labourer-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVRS-GLMY

Too earlier but perhaps a relative? Fortescue Murray of Wilmont Terrace, New Malone Road, Belfast, committed suicide June 1853.

Seems Mary Ann and Fortescue were separated by 1881-
Belfast Telegraph, 6 July 1881: Ligoniel Petty Sessions "A respectable man attended and made an information against his son-in-law, Fortescue Murray. He stated that Myrray had so misconducted himself, that his wife had been obliged to leave him and go to home to reside, Since then Murray was in the habit of coming to his house and causing a great deal of trouble and annoyance. ..." Article also mentions previous offense brought up in Lisburn Sessions and an arrest warrent was issued.

Belfast Weekly News, 15 Dec.1877: MURRAY-DUNCAN- December 10, at Christ Church, Belfast, by the Rev. Mr. Brandon, Fortescue Murray, Esq., sixth son of the late John Gregg Murray, to Mary Ann, eldest daughter of William Duncan, Esq., Balmoral, near Belfast., aged about 26, pleaded guilty... not less than three months' imprisonment, with such labour as was suited to her condition..."

Freeman's Journal, 6 Mar.1885: Mary Anne Murray, alias Brown, aged about 26, pleaded guilty... not less than three months' imprisonment, with such labour as was suited to her condition..."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 16 22:35 BST (UK) »
The Will (with one Codicil) of John Gregg Murray late of Ballinacoy County Antrim Gentleman deceased who died 28 June 1872 at Dunbought in said County was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Patrick M'Vickar of Dunbought (Belfast) Farmer and Matilda Murray of Ballinacoy (Lisburn) Widow both in said County the Executors. Will (4 pages) disinherits son Francis, mentions wife Matilda, daughter Anne Eliza, other children not named.
www.proni/gov.uk

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
Pure speculation at this point but a Fortescue/Fortesque Murray was in New South Wales from at least 1890s and in trouble numerous times with police.

1890- sent to Parramatta Gaol
1892- vagrancy, claimed to be getting money from England
1902- age 53, claims to have been a soldier
1909- sounds like quite a character-
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15070264/1309560

Added- Death: Fortescue Murray, age 68, 1917
https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/deaths

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 16 23:19 BST (UK) »
2 Apr.1890 "Wilcannia" departed London, England for Christchurch, N.Z.: Fortescue Murray, age 40

So, it's possible (but as yet unproven) that in 1890 F.M. went to N.Z., arrived in Australia by 1892 and remained in N.S.W. until he died there in 1917 having become well known to the police and courts over a long period. His claim about getting money sent from England could be money his family in Belfast paid for him to stay far away and he could have served in the British military earlier in life.

What's his address and occupation on the 1877 marriage certificate?

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 July 16 23:27 BST (UK) »
If Fortescue Murray is the one who ended up in Australia then... could he be the son Francis disinherited in father John Gregg Murray's Will  ;D

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 July 16 23:39 BST (UK) »
This fits very well with the Australian fellow-

Belfast Newsletter, 11 Oct.1887: Holywood Petty Sessions "Fortescue Murray, at present devoting himself to the occupation of street preaching..."

Freeman's Journal, 7 Dec.1841: John Gregg Murray, son of late James Murray of Tully Co.Antrim, married 23 July & 3 Dec. to Matilda, only daughter of William Edmonston, Belfast.

John Gregg Murray (3rd son) 1845-1846

Offline diggerarticle

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a website www.glenavyhistory.com and associated Facebook site.
I am interested in the history of the area. The Murray family lived at Tully House Killead and also Ballynacoy House, Glenavy. Fortunately there is a census recorded by the local minister in the 1856 to 1873 period in Glenavy.
The Murray family are listed at Ballynacoy townland.
John Gregg Murray - his wife Matilda. James Gorman Murray son - who died young. Francis Gorman, son. The minister has entered  in 1873 that he has married and left the country. Fortescue Murray, aged 7 in c1856. The minister has entered on 30 08 1873 that Fortescue was "at present awaiting his trial for deserting."
There were also daughters Anne Eliza & Florence Matilda Murray.
I hope that assists you all!!