Author Topic: help pls with swedish record translation  (Read 5382 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help pls with swedish record translation
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 01:44 BST (UK) »
Cheers.
If you need any further help just ask. According to the later Household Examination Books Maja and Daniel's birth years differ from the earlier ones. I have also found some more records and Estate/Wills if you are interested.

It is late here in Sweden now.
Ian

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 16 01:45 BST (UK) »
All H.E. found so far seem to indicate Maja Åsell, who married Daniel Anderson was born in Grums.  Parents seemed to move back and forth between Ed and Grums.  Have not found her birth yet, 1784 or 1786 but did find her older sister, Cajfa,  in 1782 in Grums.   Having some trouble figuring out a couple of words.  Could someone please take a look?
Värmland, Grums, Birth, 1761-1816 (c:2)    May 25 / 26 1782
          Cajfa           Eric Åsell  ?????
                           ???? Maria Larsdotter  ibid
I don't think the words in question will tell me anything about my primary person Maja Åsell, Cajfa's sister, but may give me where parents were form before marriage, with the word ibid I'm assuming they were from same place.
Thanks for any help.  Ruthi
County Cork - Knockadoon and Ballyandreen
- Murray / Shanahan
County Galway  Glassilaun
- O'Malley / Coyne / Kane
Sweden
   Lundberg/Lambert     goteborgs
   Gothe       orebro

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 August 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Born 25 May and Christened 26 May.
Eric Åsell from Säm (Sem) and his wife Maria Larsdotter from here.
Witnesses: Nils Bryngelsson; Eskel Persson in Malsjö and wife Stina Hansdotter in Säm and Catarina Olsdotter in Stockenid.

Eric Åsell uti Säm och dess hustru Maria Larsdotter ibid.
T (Testes): Nils Bryngelsson; Eskel Persson i Malsjö. Hustru Stina Hansdotter i Säm och Catarina Olsdotter i Stockenid.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 August 16 09:09 BST (UK) »
I have also looked for Maja's birth without success. You could look into the other surrounding Parishes: Nor, Grums, Ed, Segerstad and Borgvik.
But her birth may not have been recorded for some reason. I have seen this before though quite rare.

You will find the village/farm Säm (Sem) in the books.

Ian

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 August 16 01:20 BST (UK) »
In trying to establish a timeline for my Åsell family some things are starting to make sense.  From 1778 to 1785 it appears they are living in Grums, Norra Säm (or Sem).  The daughter Caijfa enters the HE accounting in 1782 which is what I expect and the location of Grums shows later place references to be correct.  This H.E ends in 1785 without the appearance of daughter Maja which points to the possible 1786 d.o.b. for her.  I now have a time gap until they appear in Ed, Sundängen in 1791. I  will be hunting for that time period.   
The record I'm attaching from 1778-1785 seems to indicate they were living in some sort of community arrangement.  I'm not sure I've seen a record like this before as the parents, at the top are not immediately followed by daughter Caijfa (1782).  Is this living arrangement indicative of a commune of some sort?  Any guess appreciated. Ruthi
- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro

Offline ruthi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 August 16 02:45 BST (UK) »
The attached is a church accounting record for April 2, 1786 in Grums, Varmland.  Since I am trying to find a birth /baptism entry for 1786 I am hoping this entry in April could possibly indicate a fee for a baptism?  I am not sure of the two short words after Eric's name.  It's odd that if this is a baptism fee, I cannot yet find the baptism recorded close to this date. Any help on this translation?   
thank you   Ruthi
- Murray / Shanahan
Sweden
   Gothe       orebro

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 August 16 06:25 BST (UK) »
Can you give me the book and page of the last image please.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 August 16 07:32 BST (UK) »

The record I'm attaching from 1778-1785 seems to indicate they were living in some sort of community arrangement.  I'm not sure I've seen a record like this before as the parents, at the top are not immediately followed by daughter Caijfa (1782).  Is this living arrangement indicative of a commune of some sort?  Any guess appreciated. Ruthi

As you see Caijsa is half-way down meaning that the minister wrote the names of occupants as they arrived. In later books the minister divided the families into sections so as to complete each family with children and workers. This I think is why it looks like this.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 August 16 07:34 BST (UK) »
Säm was quite a large farm. Workers including Eric probably lived in a "stuga" and in return worked on the farmer's land. Here is a page from a book explaining the taxable size of this farm: http://runeberg.org/hgsl/6/0442.html .... starting Säm, Norra, Södra och Mellan. (Säm, North, South and Middle).
This page explains the "mantal": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantal . Just to give you an idea of the farm's size the book states the size of North and Middle Säm as "2 mantal" to the value of 84000 riksdalar. According to this converter: https://translate.google.se/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=http://www.historia.se/Jamforelsepris.htm&prev=search - the price in todays USA Dollar is 1.9 million.

Ian