Author Topic: Colun Islands, Mayo  (Read 2106 times)

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Colun Islands, Mayo
« on: Monday 01 August 16 15:05 BST (UK) »
Here I am again looking for help I have found a refernce to a marriage between Thomas Browne and Bridget Kerrigan and the groom states that his residence is Colun Islands Mayo, (parish register) his father William also gives the same place I believe these island could be near Westport but would appreciate it if anyone can help, I have tried Googling them but to no avail. Tha :)nks in advance

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Colun Islands, Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the original record or a transcription? Maybe the place/parish/townland name has been mis-transcribed. There is a list of Co Mayo townlands here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_townlands_of_County_Mayo

If you have the original perhaps you can post a snippet on the Deciphering & Recognition board & we can have a look.

Josey

ADDED: There are townlands called Caher Island & Calf Island in Westport on the  list....
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 August 16 15:20 BST (UK) »
Townlands of Collan Beg and Collan More, just NW of Westport?

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,492089,788294,9,7
(this map is c. 1830s, select 'STREET MAP' over to the right to get your bearings on a more modern map)

Edited to add:  Griffith's Valuation shows a Patrick Browne on Collan Beg Island, local print date 1855.

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt reply, I have checked again, on Ancestry, and according to the Ireland Catholic Parish Register 1655-1915 a marriage between Thomas Browne and Bridget Kerrigan took place at Aughaval, Westport both fathers mentioned are correct as is the date but the place of residence for Thomas and his father William states Colun Islands,  I tried to search for them but found Column Islands sounds likely in Clew Bay but found very little other info apart from the fact that the Column Islands are now adventure islands.

When I found Colun Islands I thought I had struck gold as I have been searching for William's marriage and death for ages with nothing positive to go on.  Thanks again.  Joan

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 August 16 19:33 BST (UK) »
What's the marriage date?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 August 16 20:05 BST (UK) »
marriage between Thomas Browne and Bridget Kerrigan took place at Aughaval, Westport both fathers mentioned are correct as is the date but the place of residence for Thomas and his father William states Colun Islands

To me this would suggest what gaffy found "Townlands of Collan Beg and Collan More, just NW of Westport?"........just a misspelling?

"Beg" means small/little
http://www.logainm.ie/en/37252

"More" means big/great
http://wikimapia.org/6805856/Collan-More-Island-Collainn-Mh%C3%B3r

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 16 20:27 BST (UK) »
1. A married labourer called William Brown with a reported age of 70 died on 25 March 1872, the death was registered in Westport district, his address was recorded as Cullenbeg, the informant was Honour Browne of same address.

2. Thomas Browne and Bridget Kerrigan had at least 7 children in the period 1879 to 1893, the address for all was Knockfin, just SW of Westport.

3. A farmer's widow called Honor Brown died on 14 November 1883 with a reported age of 80, the death was registered in Westport district, her address was recorded as Knockfin, the informant was given as Bridget Brown, daughter in law.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
No. of houses on Collan Beg Island from census summary statistics:

1851: -
1861: 2
1871: 1
1881: 1
1891: 1

Population of Collan Beg Island from census summary statistics:

1851: -
1861: 9
1871: 3
1881: 4
1891: 6 (3 male / 3 female)

Collan More Island was about 10 times bigger in terms of houses and population.

http://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents/18815/page/505947

The only folk on Collan Beg Island in 1901 were the O'Malley family (present on Collan More Island as well), but the landholder was recorded as William Browne and James Browne:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001108355/

Likewise in 1911, the Malley family was resident, but the landholder was recorded as Wm Browne of Drumgariff:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003046618/

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
 :)Thank you so much I think I can honestly say that I have found the correct family and quite possibly where they originated from. May I say that I am always surprised by the amount of informatiion people such as Gaffy, Rosinish and Hanes can find out so quickly I always thought that I was pretty good on research but compared to the Rootschat people I am useless!  I am going to try and see if the info you have given me can be expanded, wish me luck, once again thank you   :)Joan