Author Topic: Donald McLeod 1805-1868 emig to Canada  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Molly McLeod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Donald McLeod 1805-1868 emig to Canada
« on: Monday 01 August 16 17:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Donald McLeod 1805-1868. His grave in Kincardine, Ontario states he was a native of Sutherlandshire. He married Mary Leslie before leaving Scotland in the 1830s.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McLeod 1805-1868 emig to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 16 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Molly

A warm welcome to Rootschat.

I have had  a quick look at Familysearch and Freereg and can only see one marriage  between Donald McLeod and Mary Leslie in Boyndie,Banffshire 23 May 1829 - the transcription states they were both of that parish. No reference to Sutherland, I am afraid.

There  is a baptism in Boyndie 26 April 1831 of a  Christie McLeod Parents Donald McLeod and  Mary Leslie Abode Rattie Witnesses Alexander McKay,  Ordens  and Robert Leslie in Little Rattie.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 August 16 19:23 BST (UK) »
some families that ended up in the Kincardine Goderich areas seemed to come from Nova Scotia and/ or PEI
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline Molly McLeod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I did see that and wondered whether that was a possible match. I suppose someone could travel from Sutherland and get married near Banff. Family lore has it that one child died on board ship while travelling to Canada so the birth listed is possible.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
 I cannot see Donald McLeod in  the 1841 census in Banffshire. I also  had a look for the witnesses named on Christie McLeod's baptism. I could not see an entry for Robert Leslie but this may well be Alexander McKay  in 1841

Abode Ordens, Boyndie
Alexander McKay 35 Innkeeper Born outside census county
Jean 32
Catherine 12
James 10
Mary 7
Georgina 5
Alexander 1
(All  born in Banffshire).

Then in 1851
Abode Ordens
Alexander McKay 45 Dyker and farmer 6 acres  Ag.lab Born Sutherland- Rogart
Jean wife 42 b Fordyce, Banffshire
Catherine 23
Georgina 15
Alexander 11
Robert 7
Frazer 24 m
(Children all born Boyndie).
Hugh McDonald Grandson 24m
+ 1 Lodger

There is a marriage in Boyndie 13 Oct 1827 between an Alexander McKay and Jane Wilson (Jane and Jean are often interchangeable). The children's  baptisms are on freereg - Catherine's has witnesses named as George Wilson and Robert Leslie of Ordens.

Noting that the marriage of Alexander McKay states of this parish while the 1851 census shows that he was born in Sutherland suggests that the Boyndie marriage for Donald McLeod should not be ruled out.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Molly McLeod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 17:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. I'll record this and hope something positive comes up!

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 September 16 17:37 BST (UK) »
Is this his grave - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=146598568 ?

If so, have you tried a search for Sutherland baptisms roundabout August 1805? Though that won't of course take into account baptisms outside the established Church of Scotland or baptisms not recorded anywhere.

What are the names of his children, apart from Christie? Any clues about possible parents there?

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     OPR Marriages. The phrase, "of this Parish", or "of (named) Parish", just means the Parish the bride or groom lived in when they married, not the Parish they were born in.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."