Author Topic: Bernstock family in Portsmouth  (Read 2350 times)

Offline RuthB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bernstock family in Portsmouth
« on: Friday 22 July 05 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am trying to find out some more information about my Great Great Grandfather, Woolf Bernstock. I know that he and his family were living in Portsmouth in 1851, and that they came from Poland. I believe that they came to England around 1876, but I do not have any other information about Woolf's ancestors. Woolf was a tailor, and was still living in Portsmouth in 1901, but later moved to London.

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

Ruth

Offline venusian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bernstock family in Portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 05 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth
            had a look at all Census but only found Woolf/wolfe form 1881 RG11/1140  FOLIO 14 PAGE 21&22  50,CLARENCE STREET ,the family still there 1891  RG12/853 FOLIO 109  PAGE 25 with a new daughter FANNY (7 Children in all 4 born POLAND, WARSAW.
1901 RG13/987  FOLIO 118  PAGE 14  New Address, 79,BEACH FARM ROAD, SOUTHSEA, ST BARTHOLOMEWS, Hyman, Fanny and Esther still at home. Hyman and Wolfe still Tailors and Esther now a Grocer but Sarah and Hyman have an appendage on place of birth(RUSSIAN SUBJECTS).
   Am still looking for anything before 1881.

Best Wishes

Diane ;D
Cowdray, Pilcher, Whittington, Snow, Champkin, Ruffett, Verion, Ailles, Conduct.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuthB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 05 07:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Diane. I had already looked on the census, so had this information. The difficult bit is tracing the family before they came to Portsmouth, and also trying to find out any other members of Woolf's family who may have come from Poland at the same time. Bernsotck seems to be a fairly unusual name, and the descendents still living today have changed the name to Burns.

Best regards

Ruth

Offline KenIvor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
I have information regarding the Bernstock family from Poland or to put it correctly the Pale of Settlement, which was under Russian control at that time and would late become Poland.

I have the following details.

The father of Woolf (later Wolf) Bernstock was

Sorry just been intrupted by an urgent call will get back to you later today (19 Aug) with the information.

Regards.

Ken

Offline KenIvor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

I am now back, so here is the information you need.

This is where I have traced back to......

Ajzyk Bernsztock/Bernstock. The spelling of his name could be Polish/Russian for Isaac.

No date of birth but guess around the 1790's, I have him living in the Pale of Settlement, at that time under Russian control (since around 1700) and would later become part of Poland.

The largest settlement of Jews were in the Pale of Settlement, numbering 219,149

He was married to

Szandla Bernsztock/Bernstock

no maiden name at this stage again she was born in the same area and around the same time period.

One of the children I have found so far is....

Woolf Jakub Bernstock 1842-1908

Married on 5 June 1864 in Warzaw, Pale of Settlement

Sara/Sura Lewengrub 1840-1924

Their children were....

If unsure of place of birth have just left it as the Pale of Settlement.

Anne  1863-1943 date of birth could be wrong but I am running with it at this time, born in the Pale of Settlement.

Joseph 1868-1928 born in the Pale of Settlement

Hyman 1870-1944 born in Warzaw, Pale of Settlement
Married to Sarah Posner circa 1883 Pale of Settlement
= married 1905 in City of London. There is a synagogue known as Bevis Marks which may hold more information but it is only a guess at this stage.

Kate 1875-? born in the Pale of Settlement

Leah 1877 born in Portsmouth, Hampshire

Fanny 1893-1959

Hyman and Sarah had the following children (which is where my connection comes in.)

Lena Annie 1906-?

Nathaniel 1908-?

Lena married Frederick Alford a widower, she was a spinster on their marriage on 17 April 1939 in Staines, Middlesex in the Parish church.

Frederick's first wife was Minnie Elizabeth Chilvers, they married on 31 August 1919 at Marylebone Parish church in London.

Minnie died in 1934 no children and none with Lena

Frederick died in 1966.

Now it is through the Chilvers that I became interested in who the Bernstocks were and thus I found the details I have given. My sister-in-law is a Chilvers descendant and while researching her ancestry I came across the Bernstocks.  My interest was aroused because I have Jewish blood in me on my father's side both maternal and paternal. My sister looks more Jewish than I do, but when I have visited Synagogues with my Jewish friend Baruch, when I put on the Kippah (my own) Jewish people think I am a rabbi, especially with Kippah and wearing a dark suit - I can speak a little Hebrew and try to use it now and again.

Now to trace further back the Bernsztock/Bernstock line in what is now Poland, you would have to visit Warsaw and find the Jewish records office to continue the search. I know from watching a TV programme called "Who do you think You are?" some of the celebrities who take part in the show are of Jewish origin and they often go to either place of birth and find that either the Polish authorities of the town or city hold the records or the capital city does. The records are really spot on they give so much detail.

If I find out any more regarding the Polish/Russian Jewish side I will get back to you.

Regards.

Ken (Jeffries)
Beckenham
England

Offline RuthB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 August 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Thank you so much for all this information, which fits with the info that I had. I'll PM you with more details. I really appreciate this as my family tree searching had not progressed for some years. Looking back, my original post was ten years ago and I'd completely forgotten about having posted here.

All the best
Ruth

Offline John Angel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 18 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth B from 2005 (and any other family..........)

Just found this site. I am descended from Woolf Bernstock and would very much like to make contact.

Regards

John (London)

Offline RuthB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
Good to hear from you.
I will send you a personal message.

All the best
Ruth