Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 4397 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 19:57 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong but I thought there was a 50 limitation on online deaths.  If that is the case, you should be able to get the certificate through SP in September for 5 credits.

Not quite! They go by year, not by actual date. It would be difficult to do it on a daily basis because the actual date of death isn't in the index. The 1966 deaths will all be released for online research in January 2017.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you will try then
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 23:03 BST (UK) »
By the way, could any one tell me where I could get her will from?
Scottish people only go up to 1925.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 00:27 BST (UK) »
Scottish people only go up to 1925.

I haven't looked on SP but I'm assuming you know she had a will?

Wills for that period would have to be looked at in person at New Register House & if I recall correctly, you need to pre-book for them to have them ready although I may be wrong on the pre-booking?

I have a G/Uncle who died 1972 & when I enquired about a copy of his will, it was only viewable on site.

I'm unsure if it's free for that department as I had planned to do the look-up on one of my day visits...where you pay for a computer for the day but my plan was to go to that particular dept. but I would have had to tell them when for them to look it out.

Someone may be able to advise you further on this though as I haven't yet done it sadly.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 05:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annie. Yes, I know she left a Will I found out by the London Gazettte 4 November 1966.
I states her name and address (as Scotland), but the funny thing is the following

Name of persons to whom a claim are to be given, Lloyds Bank Ltd, Executor and Trustee Dept. Zelide House Tunbridge Wells Kent. By 7 Jan 1967.

I have never seen a notice like this and although she lived in Scotland I don't know where her Will, will be if you follow me, Scotland or England.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 09:27 BST (UK) »

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/wills-and-testaments will tell you all about it.

She may not have left an actual will. The index entry in the Calendars of Confirmation will tell you whether she died testate (i.e. she left a will) or intestate (no will).

The testament, including her will if there is one, is in Scotland. The England and Wales probate calendar says, "Smieton Pearl More of Reres Drumduan Road Forres Morayshire died 25 September 1966 at Forres. Confirmation of Lloyds Bank Limited. Sealed London 11 April 1967.

There is no such process as 'probate' in Scots Law. The corresponding process is called 'confirmation'. If someone dies in Scotland owning property in England or Wales, the English and Welsh courts accept and 'seal' the Scottish confirmation. This avoids having to go through both processes separately. Similarly if someone dies in England or Wales owning property in Scotland, the Scottish courts accept the English or Welsh grant of probate.

So the fact that Pearl Smieton's says she had a confirmation sealed in London means that the actual process was carried out in Scotland. There may be - probably is - a copy of any will in the English records as well, of course.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. There is no way I can get there  :(

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 10:36 BST (UK) »
Having looked at a newspaper index, these references come from the Dundee Courier.

19-2-1900 - Pearl More Smieton, Maude Isolde Smieton, Broughty Ferry [seems to be in relation to a Boer war fund-raising event]

11-12-1903 - Pearl More Smieton [won half a crown in a painting competition]

31-8-1907 - Pearl More Smieton [school awards]

29-8-1908 - Pearl More Smieton [school awards]

18-7-1918 - Miss Pearl Smieton [unclear in relation to what]

14-12-1918 - artistic hand-painted programmes were sold, the work of miss Pearl Smieton and Miss Annie McEwan and the little programme sellers were Misses Deborah Donald and Beatrice Watson

26-1-1927 - Dundee merchant dies intestate ..... lodged in Dundee Sheriff Court... Mrs Maud Isolde Smieton or Sanderson, Tyndrum, Bayley's Hill, Sevenoaks, Kent, and Miss Pearl More Smieton, Ardsheal, Kippington, Sevenoaks, Kent, to decern them [executrices] dative qua next of kin to the late Mr James Smieton, merchant ....

As a great believer in looking everywhere, as there was a hint of artistry, I looked in my copy of "British Artists 1880-1940" and there are these entries:

SMIETON, Mrs. J. P.                Exh. 1880
  Panmure Villa, Broughty Ferry, N.B.
  RSA 2

SMIETON, T. A.                     Exh. 1883
  Panmure Villa, Broughty Ferry, N.B.
  RSA 1

RSA 1 means exhibited one picture at the Royal Scottish Academy exhibition in 1883.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information.   ;D