Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. There is no way I can get there  :(

There are various ways you could access the information

- contact the NRS using the enquiry address on their web site and ask them
- hire a professional searcher - see http://www.asgra.co.uk/
- try to find a helpful person who is going to the Historical Search Room and would be prepared to look up the listing for you
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 13:12 BST (UK) »
Wills for that period would have to be looked at in person at New Register House
Not in New Register House, but in the Historical Search Room in General Register House next door

if I recall correctly, you need to pre-book for them to have them ready
Yes. The documents are stored off-site and they need advance notice to bring them in for you to see. They need 24 hours' notice, and once they have brought them in, they keep the documents in the Historical Search Room for 5 days before returning them to storage.

I'm unsure if it's free for that department
There is no charge for looking at documents in the Historical Search Room. There is a charge for making photocopies or (if available) print-outs of digitised documents. You may be allowed to photograph documents - check in advance, and with the staff at the time, for permission.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 14:51 BST (UK) »
The National Library of Scotland site gives access to the Dundee Directory. It is useful for tracing the family firm/residence back e.g.

1911-1912

Smieton, James, of James Smieton & Sons, Panmure Villa, Bro'ty Ferry (Telephone No. B.F. 54)

Smieton, James & Sons, linen and jute manufacturers, Panmure Works, Carnoustie; office 12 Victoria Chambers (Telephone No. 467; Telegrams, "Smieton")

1861-62

Smieton, James, & Son, merchants 55 Cowgate and Panmure Works, Carnoustie

Smieton, James of James Smieton & Son, Heathfield Lodge, Cotton Road

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 17:28 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks for all your help.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk