Author Topic: Was Grace Fothergill wife of Wm Hood Kirkbridge related to Fothergill of Selby?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

I was wondering please, if Grace Fothergill wife of William Hood of Kirkbridge, Lord of West Firsby (father of John Hood of Nettleham, Lincolnshire and Lord of the Manor of West Firsby) was related to John Fothergill of Selby, Apothecary?

Thank you

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was Grace Fothergill wife of Wm Hood Kirkbridge related to Fothergill of Selby?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
The reason for my question is this attachment relating to John Fothergill of Selby and seemingly steps have been taken to miss out the name of the Petitioning Creditor John Hood of Nettleham, in the London Gazette and other Newspapers.

See 1844 attachment from the List of Cases.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=j4YDAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA2-PA5&lpg=RA2-PA5&dq=%22Fothergill+John%22+%22John+Hood%22&source=bl&ots=Mg4Cvn1zI_&sig=HUxOwoUZScU-PCdEmQseo-uurvk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfkZud6qLOAhVpLsAKHfAiBBMQ6AEIITAC#v=onepage&q=%22Fothergill%20John%22%20%22John%20Hood%22&f=false

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was Grace Fothergill wife of Wm Hood Kirkbridge related to Fothergill of Selby?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 15:07 BST (UK) »
These Kirkbridge Hoods seem to feature at Yafforth and in 1830 have Skipwith Hall near Selby to Let.

How Mr Hood of Nettleham fits in with Skipwith Hall, is a mystery.

Yorkshire Gazette 20 November 1819
On the 11th inst. at the house of her niece, Mrs Cottam, Leeds, aged 78, Mrs Hudson of Skipwith Hall, in the East-Riding. She was the only child of the late George Toulson, Esq. of the same place, and relict of Robert Hudson Esq. Brigade Major and Aid-de-Camp to Field Marshal the Marquis Townshend.

Regarding Skipwith:-
Yorkshire Gazette 17 December 1836 regarding a marriage in Florence ... in the house of British Minister Lieut.-Colonel the Hon. Henry Edward Butler, brother of the Earl Carrick, to Frances Mauleverer Parker, second daughter of the late John Parker Toulson, Esq., of Skipwith, in this county.

Regards Mark

Apparently the Quakers had a burial ground at Skipwith ...
"The Meeting had acquired a burial ground in Skipwith by 1717."

https://library.leeds.ac.uk/special-collections-explore/7696/records_of_bubwith_preparative_meeting_of_the_soci?selection=Quaker%20Collection&query=Selby%20Burial&collectionGroup=Quaker%20Collection&resultOffset=7

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 23:08 BST (UK) »
According to this, Grace Fothergill was the daughter of Francis-Firby Fothergill.

I would be most interested in a more detailed family tree, if anyone finds one?

Regarding this family of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, it seems according to notices in the newspapers, that where a female Hood has married, the son of that marriage has sometimes taken the name Hood from his Grandfather (being his mother's maiden name).

Index to Burke’s Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain & Ireland (1853)
By Sir Bernard Burke

Hood of Nettleham Hall.

John Hood, Esq. of Nettleham Hall, co. Lincoln, Lord of the Manor of West Firsby, co. Lincoln, married Anne, daughter of Ralph Robb, of Menstey, N.B., and has issue,

I.   John, d. young.

II.   William-Frankland, B. A. of Exeter College, Oxford, and of the Inner Temple, marr.  Elizabeth, dau. of the late Rev. J. W. Sinclair, M. A., rector of Hutton Bushell, co. York, and granddaughter of the late R. Sinclair, Esq., recorder for the City of York.

III.   Francis-Fothergill.

IV.   Charles-Ralph.

I.  Grace.                    II. Mary.                      III. Elizabeth.
IV. Anne.                    V. Margaret.               VI. Helen.

Lineage

This family is descended from John Hood, who in January 1660, accompanied Gen. Monk from Scotland, when on his way to restore CHARLES II. They separated at York, Hood being left with one regiment, under Col. Fairfax. He eventually settled in that county.

JOHN HOOD, of Craike, co. York, married a daughter of Francis Radclyffe, first Earl of Derwentwater, and aunt of the last unfortunate Earl, and was father of

JOHN HOOD, of Craike, who married Mary, daughter of – Theakstone, of Craike, and had a son,

JOHN HOOD, of Kirkbridge, co. York, who married Elizabeth, daughter of William Wright, of Baldersby, co. York, and had issue, John and William. The younger son,

WILLIAM HOOD, of Kirkbridge, co. York, and lord of the Manor of West Firsby, co. Lincoln, married Grace, daughter of Francis-Firby Fothergill,* of Aiskew, co. York, and granddaughter of William Frankland, of Trinity College, Cambridge, and lord of the Manor of Yafforth, co. York, and had issue,

I.       John, his heir, now of Nettleham.
I.    Elizabeth, married to Capt. J. A. Moore, R.N.
II.   Grace, married to William Danby, Esq., co. Lincoln.

Arms – Az., a fret, arg., on a chief, sa., three crescents, or.
Crest – A hooded crow, in its beak, a Scottish thistle; in its dexter claw, a sword.
Motto – Esse quam videri.
Seat  – Nettleham Hall, co. Lincoln.

* For the history of this ancient family see DRAKE’S History of York, published in 1736.

Offline Rik Hedge

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there

Yes indeed. Grace (b. 1755) was John's aunt. John's father Mark, also surgeon & apothecary, was born in Bedale (1759) but moved to Selby, on or soon after marriage to Jane ? (bef. 1785). My ancestor Jane Fothergill (b. 1754), older sister of both Grace & Mark married John Shillito (of Selby) in 1773, and so was living in Selby, may have been influential in Mark's move (vacancy for doctor?).

All three were children of Francis Firby (who changed his name to Fothergill to inherit property in Bedale) and Elizabeth Frankland of Yafforth (marr. 1747/48 in Kirby Wiske).

Regards
Rik

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi there

Yes indeed. Grace (b. 1755) was John's aunt. John's father Mark, also surgeon & apothecary, was born in Bedale (1759) but moved to Selby, on or soon after marriage to Jane ? (bef. 1785). My ancestor Jane Fothergill (b. 1754), older sister of both Grace & Mark married John Shillito (of Selby) in 1773, and so was living in Selby, may have been influential in Mark's move (vacancy for doctor?).

All three were children of Francis Firby (who changed his name to Fothergill to inherit property in Bedale) and Elizabeth Frankland of Yafforth (marr. 1747/48 in Kirby Wiske).

Regards
Rik

Thank you Rik

I am interested in confirming the origin of my ancestor George Hood, who married Sarah Russell at Selby, in July 1815.

Regards Mark
(Mark Hood)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
According to this website, John Hood of Nettleham, purchased property at Togher and Lecarrow.

John Hood bought the townlands of Lissaniska and Togher, parish of Robeen, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the sale of the estate of George Ruttledge of Togher in 1851. The sale rental of 24 June 1851 includes reference to the purchase of Togher and Lecarrow by John Hood of Nettleham Hall, Lincoln.

http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=570

Apparently, Charles Ralph Hood once lived there and the house is now completely demolished.

Mark