Author Topic: Edward Madeley of Doveridge or Sudbury b. 1681  (Read 1462 times)

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Edward Madeley of Doveridge or Sudbury b. 1681
« on: Wednesday 03 August 16 05:29 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the original parish records of Doveridge or Sudbury for the 1600s/1700s? I am trying to ascertain which Edward Madeley is mine as there were several, all farmers from the same area at the same time. My Edward was born in 1681 and was mentioned in his father's will of 1705. Edward senior also mentions "my now wife" Mary. Does this mean he was married before? Edward senior died in 1705 and Mary in 1723, though I have no specific date, maybe those entries in the register would help. No other children are named in the will. There are many Madeleys in the same area of this time. Any help to sort this tangle out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Liz
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.
NSW, Australia, Quebec, Canada.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Madeley of Doveridge or Sudbury b. 1681
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 16 23:00 BST (UK) »
Initial searches show only two christenings at Doveridge:

31.12.1634 Edward Madeley..father John

28.04.1717.Edward Madeley ..father Edward

both these are CHRISTENINGS and give no indication of Birth..so in theory Edward 1717 could be an adult christening. it's pushing it a bit but I've met similar.

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 August 16 03:38 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that Derek. I believe that Edward who was christened in 1717 is the son of Edward and Joan (Harrison). I think that Edward the father is probably the son of Edward who married a Mary (surname unreadable), possibly in Sudbury 1681. I know that some transcriptions of Doveridge appear online but I have not seen any for Sudbury. I was hoping that the parish registers might provide a little more info about each Edward to differentiate. I know it's a long shot, but I have seen that done occasionally. However I am a very long way from Derbyshire so am unable to see the PR myself. Thanks again for the suggestions,
Liz
Hunter, Hurst, Forbes from Northumberland and Durham. Sandham, Malone, Gregory from Lancashire.

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
Sudbury is in fact a Parish in its own right.and has Baptisms from 1673 and Marriages from 1674..I do visit Matlock records Office relatively frequently and will have a look see on my next visit.

You might try looking at Boyleston..being the nearest Parish, and Longford......

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that offer Derek. I would be grateful for any Madeley information you might find from those early dates. I have seen a very difficult to read marriage bond for the Edward and Mary married in 1681. It does say that she is from Sudbury, but I cannot make out her surname. It's possible they settled there, or that she had at least her first child there. It is impossible for me to view the PR for Sudbury as they are not on any database and I live in Australia. Bit of a long way from Matlock! DRO has an index of documents which also mentions an Edward Madeley, yeoman, of Mackley. However, I have never heard of a town or parish with that name. It is perhaps a farm??
Thanks for your insight.
All the best,
Liz

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 23:02 BST (UK) »
Mackworth??? i have the Parish records for Mackworth.......not a million miles from Sudbury!!

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 08:30 BST (UK) »
It definitely says Mackley in the catalogue entry, also he is referred to in a will as of either Mackley or Markley, I can't decipher which. Maybe it is a local term for that parish?
Liz

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 August 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
There is no Mackley or Markley in Derbyshire..there is a Mickley in the Dronfield/Chesterfield area..but that is some way from the area we're interested in.will get back to you when i have searched my Mackworth records.
derek

Offline MaggieH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 02:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Derek for your offer. My feeling is that they were farmers in the Doveridge Sudbury area but you never know. I think I should just be grateful I have been able to trace them this far, and I am thrilled to know they were from beautiful Derbyshire.
Best wishes,
Liz