Author Topic: 1841 Census - SIMPKIN / Rebecca  (Read 7345 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - SIMPKIN / Rebecca
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 August 16 07:22 BST (UK) »
I'm getting really excited you wonderful people.

Trish, I think I'm descended from Mary Simpkin 1804.  I have noted down that Thomas married a Harriett but that's all I have done so far.  Probs because I cant confirm.  But really, who can!

Jomot, This Jos Wm would be the Jos on the 1851 with Rebecca and Ann (who we think is probs actually Amy!).  I have looked and couldn't find him any later.  Thanks for locating his death.  Jomot, anyone else in that grave.  I'm looking for William Simpkin, Rebecca's husband.  He must of died between 1832 or 1837 - 1841.

Again, so many thanks.

ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 August 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately its a common grave and none of the others appear connected, but for completeness here is the listing:

Welford Rd Cemetery K 779 (Consecrated)
Joseph William Simpkin, 29 July 1851 aged 3 of Montague Place, St Mary
Robert Hemmings, 30 July 1851 aged 11 days of Gravel Street, St Margaret
-  Wakefield, 29 July 1851 Stillborn child of Reuben of Pasture Lane, St Margaret
Rebecca Simpkin, 16 Nov 1851 aged 74 of Montague Place, St Mary
Frederick Hudson, 3 Jan 1879 aged 29 of Leicester County Asylum, St Mary
John Kelly, 16 Jan 1901 aged 48 of Abbey Street, Leicester
Henrietta Theodosia Butler, 20 Mar 1920 aged 44 of Narborough Rd, Leicester

The only adult William Simpkin burials I can find during the years you have specified are:

4 Mar 1838, Blaby, aged 45
23 Feb 1833, Thurmaston, aged 53 (William Astle Simpkin)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 August 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
Jomot, you're correct.  I cant see any connection to the other soul's buried either. 

Is the burial at Thurmaston 28 Feb 1833 noted as William Astle Simpkin?!  I guess the locate seems OK. But of course, I'm not sure.  The dates I noted would be from the baptism of the last child Elizabeth c1832 or Amy/Ann c1837 and the 1841 census when Rebecca is shown as a widow.

There just seems to such a large gap in the children of William and Rebecca.  Do you think that there are more children just not baptised or lost records?!

bitzar
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 August 16 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thomas definitely married Harriet Squire, on F/S one of their Children Baptisms (Mary Ann 1837) has Mother as Harriet Squire.

As you say Rebecca is likely nee Adkin;

Marriage;
25 November 1802, Woodhouse, Leicester, England
Rebecka ADKIN to Wm SIMPKIN
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 August 16 11:20 BST (UK) »
As Rebecca/William married 1802 I can find only 3 Children to them;
Mary 1803/Thomas 1805/Ann 1808

As Rebecca was born c 1779 she would be 52 when Amy was born!

I cant find any other Children to them with my resources.

Sorry I cant be more helpful.

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 August 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
Trish, are you mad!  You're more than helpful, as always.  I remember you were one of the first to reply to one of first posts agessssssss ago.

I could only find those 3 baptisms too.  I feel I'm still grasping at straws a bit but I think its worthwhile following.  I'm not very keen on posting my ancestors names because you know before you know it random people have put them on their Anc* tree's as a sure thing!

My ancestor was the eldest child of about 6 children.  None of his sibs survived childhood.  It seems he then mixed with the wrong crowd, got in trouble with the law various times and ended up in BIG trouble.  I believe his mothers name was mis transcribed on the marriage record and EVERYONE has it wrong.  Hence why I think its Simpkin as I have found her remarrying (I bought the MC) with father William Simpkin, deceased, labourer.  My ancestor would go on to have many children.  The first Thomas, after his father.... the second Mary after his mother Mary Simpkin.... the next daughter was Rebecca.  I thought this was a co incidence and when I found a Mary Simpkin born to William and Rebecca I thought well that is a big co incidence.  I have now found my ancestor and his parents, as well as Rebecca, Ann/Amy, and Joseph all living in Upper Charles St in Leicester in the 1841.

AM I GRASPING AT STRAWS?

I'd appreciate your thought and apols for being cryptic.

bitzar.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 August 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
No need to apologise for being cryptic. As you have done all the right things. traced back, brought Certs etc then it is very likely you are on the right track :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 August 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
Another Joseph William Simpkin was baptised 21 Jan 1846 at St George, the son of William Simpkin, bricklayer, and Elizabeth.   William also gives his PoB as Woodhouse Eaves, although in 1851 he is enumerated as Thomas  ::)

I've just spotted that the same William & Elizabeth Simpkin baptised a daughter Mary Rebecca Simpkin 22 Sep 1847, St George.

This can't be a coincidence, surely?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 August 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Jomot

So this William seems to be another son of William and Rebecca.  I will add him to my tree and see what happens. 

Thnx,

Bitzar