Author Topic: John DAMON marriage to Emily ? (Poulter)  (Read 3604 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John DAMON marriage to Emily ? (Poulter)
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 August 16 18:06 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for a John Damen in 1865 in Wallingford district. On the same page is an Emily Palmer. That might be worth investigating to see if they married each other.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 August 16 19:29 BST (UK) »
No-one is disputing that John Damon was married to an Emily.   All we were trying to make clear so you didn't start going down the wrong path is that it was not the 1866 marriage index entry that had a John Damon and an Emily Poulter on the same page - we just wanted to explain that these 2 did not actually marry each other, that they each married the other pair on the page.

So, as this is not your John and Emily's marriage, if her surname was definitely Poulter then as explained earlier, there is no marriage between them here in UK.

This shows how you can easily get mislead and must not rely on something that seems to 'fit' when it's just 2 individuals appearing on the same index page number.  You have to check that is indeed the case and we needed to prove to you that in this instance those 2 did not actually marry each other.

LizzieL has now given you another possibility - but until that marriage can be checked out (IF these 2 did marry each other) it's just a possibility.  Unfortunately, I cannot find this John Damen's marriage details online so no idea which lady he married.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 August 16 19:57 BST (UK) »

LizzieL has now given you another possibility - but until that marriage can be checked out (IF these 2 did marry each other) it's just a possibility.  Unfortunately, I cannot find this John Damen's marriage details online so no idea which lady he married.

Annette

I don't think this is the one. The other two people on the same page are William Honey and Teresa Tayler.
Looking at 1871 census there is a William Honey age 26 b Crowmarsh, wife Emily b Wallingford age 46! children Emily 4 and Richard age 2 months.  Living Crowmarsh Gifford, both children born Crowmarsh.
Wallingford and Crowmarsh are on opposite sides of R Thames, Wallingford in (old) Berks and Crowmarsh in Oxon. So it looks like John Damen married Teresa Tayler. Havent found them yet
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 August 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
Found the other couple now, strangely in Dorset - Princes Street Dorchester - John is a corn merchant. Sounds a bit Thomas Hardy!

Teresa born in Boldre in Hants - near new Forest, can't think why they  had an awayday to Wallingford to get married. Must be them, they have Anne Tayler sister in law with them in 1871, born Beaulieu, Hants

added
John was born in Winfrith a few miles east of Dorchester/ Casterbridge on the road to Anglebury / Wareham

Offline Appavw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 May 17 22:16 BST (UK) »

Offline Appavw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 May 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks for all the assistance. I had a chat to the Grandchildren of John Damon and they confirmed that John Damon married Emily Poulter. They also said that the Poulter family came to visit them here in South Africa.

With whom did you talk, Niel? Lionel?

Offline NeillFourie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 December 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I am satisfied that John Damon did not marry Emily Poulter. I have bowed down to the inevitable that it is not them.

Does anyone have a John Damon that married an Emily anywhere in the world and then went to South Africa. The eldest child was born in Kimberley, Cape Province, South Africa on 30 March 1873.

The marriage must have been late 1860's or early 1870's

Offline NeillFourie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 September 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all

The mystery has been solved. John Damon married Emily Wellen on 8 November 1874