Author Topic: Jean (Jane) Ranken Fraser's Death Date, any ideas?  (Read 1774 times)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jean (Jane) Ranken Fraser's Death Date, any ideas?
« on: Wednesday 03 August 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
I wondered if anybody had any ideas of how to find my ggggreat grandmother's date of death. Here's what I've got so far....

Jean (Jane) Ranken (Rankin)

Born 1 Feb 1813 - Strichen, Aberdeenshire
to William Rankin & Margaret Murison

Married to George Fraser (abt 1814 Fraserburg - 12 Nov 1860 Aden Arms Inn, Old Deer, Aberdeenshire) on 24 Nov. 1833 in Fraserburgh.

Children

Alexander Fraser (1834-1904) my gggreat grandfather
George Fraser (1835-)
Jane (Jean) Fraser (1837-)
William Fraser (1838-)
Christina Fraser (1840-)
Thurlow Fraser (1841-1874)
Margaret Fraser (1843-)
Mary Fraser (1845-)

I've found her in the 1841,1851, 1861 & 1871 Census'.
1841 - Living in Gamrie, Banffshire with George and 5 of her children.
1851 - Living in New Pitsligo, Aberdeeshire as an Innkeeper's wife with George and 8 of her children.
1861 - Living in Old Deer, at the Aden Arms Inn as an Innkeeper & Farmer with her 2 children.
1871 - Living in Strichen, as a Hotel Keeper with her son - I'm thinking this was the now current Mormond Inn

I can't seem to find her after that.

On SP I used a bunch of credits and looked up a bunch of different Jane & Jean Fraser's that passed in Aberdeen after 1871. Non of them look to be her. Getting a little frustrated at not being able to track her, so thought I'd reach out and see if anybody had any other ideas.

Thanks!!

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: Jean (Jane) Ranken Fraser's Death Date, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
Have you tried either of these?
Maybe the one in Inverness?  I note you say you've tried Aberdeens.

1871   RANKIN   JANE       FRASER   F   68   KILTARLITY   /INVERNESS   101/00 0013   
1874   RANKIN   JANE       FRASER   F   66   STRICHEN   /ABERDEEN   241/00 0012

Edit: I know the ages are a bit out but perhaps you needed to widen the search criteria.  The one in Strichen with date of birth of c1808 seems most likely. 
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 23:09 BST (UK) »
Have you tried either of these?
Maybe the one in Inverness?  I note you say you've tried Aberdeens.

1871   RANKIN   JANE       FRASER   F   68   KILTARLITY   /INVERNESS   101/00 0013   
1874   RANKIN   JANE       FRASER   F   66   STRICHEN   /ABERDEEN   241/00 0012

Edit: I know the ages are a bit out but perhaps you needed to widen the search criteria.  The one in Strichen with date of birth of c1808 seems most likely.

That 2nd one is it, thank-you! I don't know why I didn't think to search using her maiden name first. That did the trick. I also was searching for 1813 birth date, and it says she was born more in 1808 which is a pretty big difference.

Interesting, it lists her parents different then I had them. I had them as William Rankin & Margaret Murison. It says they were James Rankin - Carrier, and Ann Webster. I'll have to search and see if that's correct or not.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 23:41 BST (UK) »
The parents names are very different aren't they? Who was the informant?

Does the death certificate you believe is the correct one say she is the wife of George Fraser?
(If not you might have the wrong Jane Rankin after all ....)

You could look for a Jane Rankin with parents James and Ann as a way of cross checking.  :-\

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 16 00:11 BST (UK) »
The parents names are very different aren't they? Who was the informant?

Does the death certificate you believe is the correct one say she is the wife of George Fraser?
(If not you might have the wrong Jane Rankin after all ....)

You could look for a Jane Rankin with parents James and Ann as a way of cross checking.  :-\

They are quite different, but I think it was because of an error on my part. This was the first solid proof of her parents, and I think he ones listed are the correct ones. It does list George Fraser, Innkeeper, as her husband, so I'm pretty confident it's the right death certificate.

I've already deleted the wrong set of parents and adjusted the tree. It's so hard to get it right without those birth, marriage or death certificates after the mid-1850s. It seems so much harder to verify info before then! I've been sent off on several wild goose chases that weren't the right ones in the end. Oh well, I guess that's supposed to be all part of the fun.  :-\

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 August 16 00:18 BST (UK) »
Using Family Search looks like Jean was born 9 May 1808 in Strichen to James Ranken and Anne Webster.
Family of at least 9 children....

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Arankin~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Ajames~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Aann~%20%2Bmother_surname%3Awebster~&collection_id=1771030
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 August 16 01:24 BST (UK) »
Ah I see.

Yes, if Jane was the wife of George, Innkeeper, that's good.  :) The informant might be relevant too (if it wasn't George).

And now Dave has found the right family you're back on track, but yes I agree about the difficulties tracing earlier eras. You can get lucky though.

Offline barnowlcan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 17 04:42 BST (UK) »
The children listed above were the children of Thurlow Fraser and Jane Cowie. Thurlow was born in Fraser burg 1826,  died 1889,   Jane born 1837  New Deer, died 1917.
Two of their children moved to Canada - both passing away in Vancouver B.C. These were Thurlow and his sister Christine.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 October 17 08:07 BST (UK) »
The children listed above were the children of Thurlow Fraser and Jane Cowie. Thurlow was born in Fraser burg 1826,  died 1889,   Jane born 1837  New Deer, died 1917.
Two of their children moved to Canada - both passing away in Vancouver B.C. These were Thurlow and his sister Christine.
Thought this sounded familiar
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=454636
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=659044
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=750339
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=753013
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751332
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.