Author Topic: Shawmuir and Bankhead Cottages, Pollok Estate  (Read 4209 times)

Offline NicPhaidein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shawmuir and Bankhead Cottages, Pollok Estate
« on: Friday 05 August 16 03:26 BST (UK) »
I am interested in finding out about the above cottages. How would one manage to get residency there? Would the occupants be employed by the Pollok Estate?

My great great grandfather, John McFadyen, is listed as living in Pollok Estate, Bankhead on the 1881 Renfrewshire census. According to the schedule this house had seven rooms with one or more windows. He died there on 17 April 1882. His widow, Ann McFadyen ne้ Dow, died at Shawmuir Cottage, Pollokshaws on 17 December 1895. James and Ann's son, James Angus McFadyen, is listed in the marriage indexes with the address of Bankhead Cottage, Pollokshaws, Eastwood. James Angus may have lived with his parents until his marriage on 28 January 1881 to Jane Forrester Orr. Her address is Kinning Park and that's where my grandfather, James, was born.

Is there a record anywhere of past occupants of these cottages?

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Shawmuir and Bankhead Cottages, Pollok Estate
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 16 11:05 BST (UK) »
The cottages would have mainly been for the use of estate workers or estate employees, from either the estate itself or one of the many other properties and businesses around Pollokshaws owned by the estate.

Unfortunately I have been told by National Trust staff at Pollok House that there are no known records existing for the staff of the estate.

PS although the Natuional Trust own Pollok House the management and day to day running of the estate grounds and other properties is the responsibility of Glasgow City Council. (Both Shawmuir & Bankhead Cottages still stand)

Offline Sprint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 16 17:14 BST (UK) »
My father was brought up in Bankhead Cottage behind the plots. His Grandfather was Clerk of Works at Pollok House and moved into the cottage in 1905. He was a Joiner to trade. Prior to that it had been the estate laundry and then the estate armoury. My Grand Mother moved out in 1976.

Offline Jillian vincent

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My grandfather was the butler to Sir John Stirling Maxwell at Pollok House and lived with my grandmother my Dad and 2 other sons in Shawmuir Cottage. They lived there until a good bit after after Sir John died.

Offline ldonnell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am a project assistant at Pollok House, National Trust for Scotland and we have just begun a new Oral History Project supported by Heritage Lottery Fund.
We're trying to reach people with a historical or ancestral connection with Pollok House or the Estate, and a member of our team alerted me to this comment thread  :)

We'd really love to hear more from anyone who'd like to speak to us.

You can  or call us on 0141 616 6410

Thanks,

Lucy

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
I am extremely concerned at the state the council have allowed these cottage to get in. I went to have a look recently and they were completely neglected. I contacted the council, but they have not got back to me about it.

Posted on behalf of Jillian who clicked on the "report to moderator button" instead of the reply button. Welcome to RootsChat Jillian :) Regards Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Would the occupants be employed by the Pollok Estate?

My great great grandfather, John McFadyen, is listed as living in Pollok Estate, Bankhead on the 1881 Renfrewshire census. According to the schedule this house had seven rooms with one or more windows. He died there on 17 April 1882. His widow, Ann McFadyen ne้ Dow, died at Shawmuir Cottage, Pollokshaws on 17 December 1895. James and Ann's son, James Angus McFadyen, is listed in the marriage indexes with the address of Bankhead Cottage, Pollokshaws, Eastwood. James Angus may have lived with his parents until his marriage on 28 January 1881

You don't give the occupations of people listed on 1881 census or the occ. on 1881 marriage which should help with why they were there?

Not sure if you have the original image from SP for 1881?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline NicPhaidein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
My gg-grandfather James McFadyen (not John as I just read in my original post) was a United Presbyterian minister in Patna. I am not sure why he would end up on the Pollok Estate when he was in his final years.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 March 19 02:51 GMT (UK) »
"I am interested in finding out about the above cottages. How would one manage to get residency there? Would the occupants be employed by the Pollok Estate?"

"My great great grandfather, John McFadyen, is listed as living in Pollok Estate, Bankhead on the 1881 Renfrewshire census.
He died there on 17 April 1882. His widow, Ann McFadyen ne้ Dow, died at Shawmuir Cottage, Pollokshaws on 17 December 1895. James and Ann's son, James Angus McFadyen, is listed in the marriage indexes with the address of Bankhead Cottage, Pollokshaws, Eastwood. James Angus may have lived with his parents until his marriage on 28 January 1881 to Jane Forrester Orr. Her address is Kinning Park and that's where my grandfather, James, was born.

Is there a record anywhere of past occupants of these cottages?"

There are different Counties mentioned, Renfrew & Lanark.

Pollockshaws is Glasgow (Lanark) & Eastwood is Renfrew.

There are Valuation Rolls between dates but I can't find anything to match at the moment.

You mention 'marriage indexes' (plural) which is confusing.
An index isn't a cert. i.e. I'm assuming you have a/the marriage cert?

You don't say where son James Angus was in prior census yrs to his marriage, how old he was/when born or his occ. on marriage?

It may be an idea to post snips of what you have with addresses & parish names/reg. districts?

I think Renfrew borders Glasgow/Lanark/Ayr although I have no idea which areas came under what in the 1800s  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"