Author Topic: tracking down relatives of Wolverhampton war hero Sgt William Arthur Davies  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A few months ago I got in touch with the relative of a Pilot named Sgt D.M.V.Jordan. His aircraft a 619 Sqdn Lancaster was shotdown homebound over the S.E. part of Holland which took the lives of seven young crewmembers. This happened in 22 June 1944. This relative and me have exchanged much information and we would like to share this information with the other crew relatives and later on we would like to erect a memorial near the crashsite. On board this lancaster was a 23 year old Flight Engineer Sgt William Arthur Davies who was the Son of Alan and Eliza Ann Davies, of 74 Craddock Street,Wolverhampton. The relative of Jordan found out that the birth of W.A.Davies was registered in the 3rd quarter of 1919 in the West Bromwich registration district. This entry gives mother's maiden name as Edwards and so i looked for a possible marriage for a Davies to an Edwards, but the only marriage that i could find that vaguely fitted was that of an Alan Davies who married Eliza Ann Jones in 3rd quarter of 1901 in Wolverhampton. Wolverhampton was given as their location on the CWG entry, it could fit and that their marriage to Alan was her second one. Sofar this what the relative of Jordan found out. Who can help us out???? 

Thank you very very much in advance,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: tracking down relatives of Wolverhampton war hero Sgt William Arthur Davies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 March 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
On the 21st of April 2018 we expecting two more crew relatives(Parkes and Jordan) from the Lancastercrew which was shotdown over Asten 22nd June 1944. I am in touch with almost all the crews relatives except Sgt W.A.Davies. Hopefully some of your experts could help us to track down his family??

Regards,
Adrian
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 March 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you're aware of this, but there is a local newspaper - the Black Country Bugle - which concentrates on local history. They may be interested in running an article about this:  if not, then a letter to the editor may reap results.

Contact details:     editor@blackcountrybugle.co.uk
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 March 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Cati. Worth to try!! 
Cheers,
Adrian

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 March 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that has William Arthur Davis on it. According to that he had 5 sisters and 2 brothers, all now deceased. However, I would think from that number there should be some nieces and nephews.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
There seems to be some slight errors here - according to CWGC William Arthur Davies did indeed die 22nd June but in 1943 (not 1944).

William Arthur Davies was born 15th March 1920  -  birth entry Wolverhampton but mmn shown as James but suspect this is a mistranscription when recorded by the GRO and should in fact be Jones.  This age ties in exactly with age of death 23 on 22/6/1943.

The online tree referred to actually links to birth entry year June qtr. 1922 Wolverhampton but suspect this is because they were looking for a William A Davies mmn Jones and this is the one that came up BUT firmly believe that his birth is the William A Davies June quarter 1920 Wolverhampton entry with mmn incorrectly shown as James not Jones.   Easy to do if the handwriting was not clear.
(The William Arthur birth in June 1922 - birthdate according to another tree being 30/3/1922 - was the son of a John Henry Davies and Robina Jones.)

It is always a difficult task trying to trace family of someone with the surname Davies - however, William Arthur Davies was the youngest of 8 - 5 sisters and 2 brothers named Alan (1913-1965) and Ernest Frank (1915-1991).   Alan married lady named Swatman and had 2 sons (1940 and 1942) and 1 daughter 1944/5.  Ernest Frank married lady named Pumford and had 2 daughters (1942 and 1946).    Obviously I cannot name them here but you can easily find their names by checking births index.    However, I've looked on Genes Reunited and someone named Liz Phillips (Member no. 7763508) has all 5 children of Alan and Ernest listed so would suggest you contact this lady and hopefully will then be in contact with the family of William Arthur Davies.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 18 20:35 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Annette7 for your contribution which is more than appreciated!!  Yes indeed you are right of course, it was 22nd June 1943 NOT 1944. That's why I cannot find the file in my archives ???
 I have looked on Genes Reunited for Liz Phillips as you suggested but was unable to find her. Maybe I must became a member first??

Cheers,
Adrian

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 02:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry - yes you will need to register.

Once you have, hover over the 'Search' button which brings up various options - click on 'Search All Member Trees'.    Then in the search screen that comes up enter William Davies born 1920 in Wolverhampton - 2 entries come up and the first one says the Tree Owner is Liz - if you click on the 'Find Out More' box it will then show you her full name, Member number, and gives you the opportunity to send her a message.

Good luck.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette, All clear Thank you very much. I will sure let you know the outcome.
Many Thanks again,
Adrian