Author Topic: Lynton House School in Maidenhead  (Read 5814 times)

Offline Nannysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lynton House School in Maidenhead
« on: Saturday 06 August 16 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, I  am looking for anyone familiar with Lynton House in the early 1950s. I am from the States, and my father was stationed at West Drayton RAF base. We lived in several places in and around London but lived longest in Maidenhead. I attended Lynton House School for Girls. I  loved it!  I have been back to the UK many times, and did make it back to Maidenhead. I had a little trouble finding where the school once stood. I  did recognize the brick wall, only to find the school gone.....so sad. However the gatehouse was still there. I  was so bold as to knock on the door and met the most delightful lady. When I told her I had gone to the school that use to be on that site, she invited me in and offered me tea and biscuits.  She had lived in the gatehouse for many many years.  We reminisced about a lot of things. Mind you, this visit took place back in to 90s.
I often think of my times in the UK and being  an anglophile, I  hope to return sometime.
After going on and on, (sorry) I am wondering if there is any one out there that was around at that time. It was a long time ago

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Lynton House School in Maidenhead
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 16 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

Have you thought about a letter/email to the local newspaper or radio station?

My dad tried the letter route to find some of his cousins, using an address from 60 years earlier........it worked!

An internet site called Batchmates has a listing for Lynton House School but only one person registered.

Good Luck,

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nannysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nanny Jan for your timely response. I will look into your suggestion.
Best regards
Nanny's girl

Offline P. Cunningham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I attended passed Schools Certificate at Lynton House in 1948, earlier than your years there. I too was American, and went looking for the school on a visit to UK and like you found only the front gate. I didn't have the nerve to try to see anyone inside! But I loved my time there, even the freezing swimming pool, and I may have known young women in the lower forms whom you would have known when you were there. Shall we chat?

I should have mentioned that my best friend, Brenda, may have been teaching there when you were there. If so, you will know her last name. I have tried for years to locate her, with no success.

Offline Nannysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 17 01:07 GMT (UK) »
So good to hear from one who was Lyndon House. I do remember that cold swimming pool.....brrr. I 'm sorry, I  don't remember the names if any of my teachers, but I can still see them. One in particular was a blond lady with shoulder length hair.
I would love to hear from you. Was your father stationed there?

Offline P. Cunningham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 January 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
My step-father wasn't military, he worked for an American airline, buying properties in Europe for conversion to ticket offices. We lived in a tiny hamlet called Touchen End, near Holyport, Berks. I used to bicycle to school every day, about four miles. There was a teacher with shoulder length blond hair who taught Latin, not easily forgotten, Miss Horne. I have a photo of her. Miss Plumridge taught English, History and Scripture. I have half a dozen other photos of the school and the pool. The French teacher was small, red-haired and Irish. Her name, of course, was Mamzelle! My friend Brenda, who taught there in the early Fifties, was dark-haired and wore very thick glasses. It looks like I might be able to attach a photo, if I can just figure out how. (First I have to photograph the ancient photos in my album; give me a week or so!)

Offline Nannysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 January 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
So good to.hear from you. I  would llove to see the pics if possible.  I  lived in Maidenhead on Oldfield Road. I  caught the bus at the bottom of the hill up to Lyndon House, then back again, carrying my sachel. I had a friend Claire Nash. You have a great memory, I  wish I could remember my teacher's name. We were in the front room upstairs in the building away from the big house and past the pool.

Offline Grannymac2000

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
Just came across this conversation. Good to meet two others from Lynton House. I was there until 1961 when the school unfortunately closed. Miss Plumridge taught me A level English and we kept in contact until her death a few years ago. I went to her funeral in Exeter but there were no others from Lynton there. Too many years had gone by. Mme Ledesert was my French teacher and I also remember Miss Worral taking swimming lessons in that oh-so-cold pool next to the Sixth Form room. The only other name I remember is Mrs Rhind-Tutt who was probably much before your time. There were two Principals, whose names I forget, one of whom taught me German at O level. I have very fond memories of the old place. Happy times!

Offline Nannysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynton House girls, just wondering if when any of you were at the school if you remember being a part of different groups, with different round (about 1/2" ) enameled colored pins we wore. I  was in the "Tudor" group and my pin was yellow. We met in the big house, I think maybe once a week. We sang from our little blue hymn books. My favorite hymn "Eternal Father Strong To Save."  I don't remember what else we did at the meetings.  Ah memories. I  do hope to get back over England before too long.