Author Topic: Edmond Tobin family in Clonmel and Tipperary 1880-1895  (Read 4551 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edmond Tobin family in Clonmel and Tipperary 1880-1895
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 August 16 11:23 BST (UK) »
See reply 12, Mary is Mary Leahy Usher Renehan, not Margaret who married Edmond Tobin.

Johanna Renihan in the 1901 census return for house 7 Wellington Street was born on 24 July 1899 to parents Michael Renehan and Mary Leahy.

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 August 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
No, it seems to be John Usher son of James married Maria Leahey daughter of Thomas in 1883 Clonmel. He is the brother of Margaret but born much later in 1862 so I hadn't found him before.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 August 16 11:31 BST (UK) »

... No, it seems to be John Usher son of James married Maria Leahey daughter of Thomas in 1883 Clonmel ...

Posted at reply #12.

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 August 16 11:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry, so much info flying about. At least we answered who Mary Wrenahan was from the will. I know so much about this family now, but what happened after Edmond died.

Nice that there's been another transcription mistake of Maher/Usher, that makes the John I found more likely to be related.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 August 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
One of the irritations of an iPad is to have a reply all typed out only to have it disappear when you go to double check something.

Edmond and Margaret Ussher Tobin's children were

1894 Bridget
1892 John?
1891 Margaret
1889 Edmond/Edward died in WW1
1887 Mary
1885 Catherine baptised Bridget, died at 10 months
1886 James died at 1 year

A few thoughts
Why didn't Edward name one of his siblings in his will, had he lost touch with them to such an extant he didn't know where they lived, if his aunt played an important part in his life why didn't he know how to spell her name?

In 1901 we are looking for Bridget 7, John 9, Margaret 10, Edward 12, Mary 16.
and the thinking now is the family is split up.

The John dathai found is a strong possible
nephew ?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Bruis/Shrough/1717863/

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 August 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think this is the closest I've found to finding him. Edmond Tobin's brother had a daughter called Catherine born around the right time, so they would have actually been cousins, but the age difference is so much that aunt and nephew makes sense.

I've also found a Margaret Tobin as a servant in 1901 and 1911 for the same family that is about the right age for the Margaret I've been looking at.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Waterford/Seskinan/Tooraneena/664459/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 August 16 16:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think this is the closest I've found to finding him. Edmond Tobin's brother had a daughter called Catherine born around the right time, so they would have actually been cousins, but the age difference is so much that aunt and nephew makes sense.

I've also found a Margaret Tobin as a servant in 1901 and 1911 for the same family that is about the right age for the Margaret I've been looking at.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Waterford/Seskinan/Tooraneena/664459/

The problem with that is she is single, do you know if she was born Waterford?

What about Edwards Army record, have you looked for that, I know a lot were lost during WWII but if it could be found in might give useful clues?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 August 16 17:22 BST (UK) »
One of the irritations of an iPad is to have a reply all typed out only to have it disappear when you go to double check something.

Sorry to interrupt - yes it is irritating. I have started to copy my messages, if there is a lot if information, then if (when) I lose it, I can just paste it back again.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GerryLS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 August 16 17:23 BST (UK) »
She was born in Waterford, well baptised in Kilsheelan 1854. I was thinking single as in not married, didn't see there was a widow status. I don't see anyone listed as a widow that fits, that has any children with her of the right age.

I can't find Edward's service record, only things afterwards about his death.