Author Topic: Charles Pope died 1891 NSW  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Pope died 1891 NSW
« Reply #27 on: Friday 12 August 16 06:08 BST (UK) »
I believe you will find quite a few of the "Dunster" Family still living in the Illawarra area. The name rang a bell with me along with Darley Street Shellharbour (ESTATE). I seem to remember one of the family working for my Uncle in Shellharbour 1950's. Nicknamed "DUMPSTER"

A white pages search locates quite a few in and around the area nowadays. Even some with Surname POPE but I don't know if any connection.

A local cemetery search will show some as well.
Neil

Have you considered contacting current Dunster families either by mail or phone to ask if they have a Mary and Edward Pope in the tree? I've chatted to some lovely folk on the phone when in pursuit of connections.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Pope died 1891 NSW
« Reply #28 on: Friday 12 August 16 06:45 BST (UK) »
Jamjar's suggestion seems sensible to me.
http://www.whitepages.com.au/residential/results?name=dunster&location=Nationally

Not sure if you are familiar with the Illawarra area some of the following town/suburb names are close by: Albion Park, Dapto, Minnamurra, Fairy Meadow, Kiama, Berry. 

My thoughts are that Mary may have re-partnered or married, thus taking on a new name which Edward may have also changed to; or she may have just changed her name.  She may have returned to England.  I haven't found a suitable marriage that could reliably be attributed to her, either on the Australian Birth Index or through FreeBMD (England/Wales), nor on UK Censuses.  I searched with both surnames Pope or Dunster - similar non-result for Edward.

Judith

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk