Author Topic: Cooper, Joseph b 1886 married to Mary Anne  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Paulmag33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cooper, Joseph b 1886 married to Mary Anne
« on: Sunday 07 August 16 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm new to this site and would ask if anyone would have any information on my great grandfather / grandmother Joseph Cooper and Mary Anne Cooper (I believe her maiden name is Johnstone)

I have sent off  for a marriage certificate and death certificate of Joseph 1916 the same year my grandfather Michael b 4/04/1916 was born who was fostered. The story my mother was told was they were shot by the black and tans but they didn't form until 1920. I have found it nothing to confirm this and am eager to know what happened to them.

I have found 1n the 1911 census a Joseph Cooper but am not sure if this is him.
Magee
Cooper
Malcolm

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cooper, Joseph b 1886 married to Mary Anne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 16 06:45 BST (UK) »
To save others from having to Search 1911 Census for him, this looks like them..

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Clones_Urban/Annalore/804147/

Roman Catholic.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 16 11:58 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate will at least give a father's names to work from and hopefully he was married from his parents home for a further address

Possibility on 1901 census for Joseph COOPER - LINK age is out slightly

In 1911 William and Mary Anne COOPER are listed and have aged far more than 10 years! LINK

LINK to Civil Record Reference of Marriage on July 01 1906

www.irishgenealogy.ie has the birth of Elizabeth and James but I cannot see Joseph who is listed in the 1911 census [edited below birth in Clones a possibiliy] or Michael who you referred to. There are other COOPER births with a mother named JOHNSTON which implies another couple in the area with the same surnames

In my family the story was told that my granddad's brother was shot by the Black and Tans however on the 1911 census his wife is already described as a widow! I still cannot find a death to match him so perhaps the story of being taken away and shot is true and just embellished over the years.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:33 BST (UK) »
In case the correct family

William COWPER aged 22 of Legnakelly; father Joseph
married on Oct 20 1871 in Roslea RC Church of Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh
Marianne GUNN aged 22 of Ranmulla; father James
LINK to church record

Elizabeth COOPER bap Nov 26 1873 Roslea RC LINK
Mary COOPER bap Jul 13 1875 Clones RC
William COOPER bap Jul 21 1878 Clones RC
Susan COOPER bap Feb 18 1880 Clones RC LINK others also here if you search
Joseph COOPER bc1882 Church registers stop at 1881 but there is a birth record in CLONES LINK
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Paulmag33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the reply and sorry it would have made it easier for everyone if I had put a link for the 1911 census.
This is the same Cooper 1911 census that I referred to http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Clones_Urban/Annalore/804147/
The information my relatives have given me is that Michael born 4/04/1916 had a brother named James who they believe went to England there was no talk of Elizebeth but importantly Michael had a twin sister name unknown.  I searched and found Ellen Cooper born same year same qtr so have requested a birth certificate for Ellen and have been waiting for that, Joseph's death certificate and Joseph and Mary Annes Marriage certificate for a few weeks now.
I have a birth certificate for Michael I hope its within the rules to attach it. The father is Joseph (deceased) so hopefully I can get Joseph's death certificate to find out the cause of death.
Magee
Cooper
Malcolm

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:58 BST (UK) »
I should have said welcome to RC as well!!

Once you have the official certificates you may be able to match to this information
Let us know when it arrives and we can search again if needs be

Best of luck!
Further generations:

Offline Paulmag33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 August 16 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks myluck for the welcome and the info.
My Mum was Cooper so I think it's going to be the same spelling and the Joseph and Mary birth dates are out by 4-5 years assuming the 1911 census is correct. I know I really need to wait for the certificates to arrive.
It's interesting the story of your grandfathers brother it may be that it's not possible to get some information because of the politics of the time as they may have been covered up.
Magee
Cooper
Malcolm

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 August 16 13:14 BST (UK) »

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 August 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
In case correct her baptism on Oct 09 1878 = LINK
Further generations: