Author Topic: Dunbar Cemeteries  (Read 5197 times)

Offline gjs1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunbar Cemeteries
« on: Sunday 07 August 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
My grandfather died in 1958 and as far as I know was buried in a Dunbar Cemetery.

In Loving Memory of
Joseph Smith
beloved husband of
Grace Hutton
Died 10th March 1958

I have a photograph (taken in the early 90s by an uncle  from Australia) of the headstone but without knowing the cemetery I am unable to visit myself.

Does anyone know of a site where I can search for the cemetery?
(I have tried Scottish Burials and Billion graves and come up with nothing)

Thanks & Regards
Lipp, Troup & Proctor - Aberdeenshire and Banff, all dates
Fraser, Hardie, Mackie & Watt - Banff, Moray & Nairn all dates
Smith - Inverness & Moray, 1900s onward

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Dunbar Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 August 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there and welcome to RootsChat  :)

I can't see a death for Joseph on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk in the East Lothian area in 1958. Do you know where he was living at that time? Any idea on his age at death?

Another site is worth checking is www.deceasedonline.com .... but I couldn't see anything for him there.

You have very specific details on his death which always help. You could contact the local council www.eastlothian.gov.uk/info/640/birth_death_marriage_and_civil_partnerships/193/burial_services and ask for advice on how to find his burial location and lair details.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gjs1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 07:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response,

I have a copy of the death register entry.

He died at Eastern General Hospital Leith, and usual residence was given as Beltonford Maltings.

Since my posting I have been in touch with my sister and she seems to recall that our mother saying it was a true blue (CoS) cemetery, using google maps I presume it would be the Queens Road cemetery.

I went to the parish church website and nothing is given with regard to the lairs and their locations within the cemetery.

I tried the East Lothian Council site but it only lists the cemeteries in East Lothian, there is no search engine to provide plot/lair references.

I'm awaiting a response to the message I sent to the East Lothian Council, and I will try the deceasedonline.com site.

Once again Thanks

George J. Smith

Offline gjs1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 11:37 BST (UK) »
I just received the following from the East Lothian Council offices at Haddington.

<<Thank you for your enquiry.  From the details you have provided we will hopefully be able to find the information you require.

However, we charge a search fee for this service and the current fee is £20.95 per half hour which must be paid in advance.  We would normally recommend that individuals pay for an initial half hour search and if in that time we have been unable to find the required information we would contact you and discuss whether you wish us to extend the time allocated.

If you would like us to conduct the search for you we can take payment over the phone by debit or credit card or you can send us a cheque made payable to East Lothian Council. 

Regards.>>

Scandalous prices, I did a search on the Nottingham City Council site and got the cemetery, section and plot location all for free.

Ah well back to the drawing board as they say.

Offline gilmorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 01:41 BST (UK) »
There are two cemeteries in Dunbar - one surrounding Dunbar Parish Church and the other about a mile south east of the town called Deer Park Cemetery.  Not sure if you can search on that but worth a try.  It's more likely to be Deer Park unless the family had a big plot at the Parish Church.  Gillian

Offline gjs1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information about the cemeteries, I doubt the family had a plot in the parish church cemetery as my grandfather was Rothes and moved to the Beltonford Maltings in the late 1930's or early 1940's.

Having the name of the Deer Park cemetery helps in that I will be able to do a search on-line to see if anything is available.

Thanks and Regards

George J. Smith

Offline gilmorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 April 18 01:26 BST (UK) »
George there is a Facebook page called Lost Dunbar.  If you posted your photo of the headstone on there, I'm sure some of the locals would be able to tell you if it's Deer Park.  I'm in Australia and can't honestly say I'd recognise the cemetery from the photo.  I'm from Dunbar originally but it's a long time since I was at the cemetery.  Good luck.  Gillian

Offline gjs1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 April 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
Gillian, thanks for the tip, however I don't subscribe to Facebook (or any of the other social sites) I'm a bit paranoid about how much information such sites ask for.

I shall check the internet to see if Lost Dunbar has a regular web page, if not I will probably ask my daughter to check as she has a Facebook account.

Who knows it might shed some light on Beltonford Maltings, which seems to be conspicuous in its absence on the Haddington/East Lothian sites I have looked at.

Once again thanks for the tip

George

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:03 BST (UK) »

Hi ,
   Beltonford Maltings are just before Dunbar on the A1087 at West Barns .

Recently a lot of councils have started charging for searches for burials . Edinburgh District Council is the same .

Szilard