Author Topic: Dunbar Cemeteries  (Read 5185 times)

Offline gjs1949

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dunbar Cemeteries
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzilad,

I know where they were, next door to the stables, I had a few memorable holidays staying there in the early 1950's with my grandfather and stepgrandmother. There is however a dearth of information and practically no photographs of the houses that were on the Edinburgh road just inside the gates and in front of the malt buildings in that time period. There are a few earlier photographs from the rear of the site, but unfortunately none from the front, or in the period when my grandfather lived there and worked in the Maltings.

Thanks for your advice anyway.

T&R
GJS
Lipp, Troup & Proctor - Aberdeenshire and Banff, all dates
Fraser, Hardie, Mackie & Watt - Banff, Moray & Nairn all dates
Smith - Inverness & Moray, 1900s onward

Offline gilmorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 April 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
George, if your daughter can post a request on Lost Dunbar, someone on that Facebook page will direct you to photos of the Beltonford maltings or even post the photos on again for you.  Gillian

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 April 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Is there any background showing in your photograph? If so, please describe it; or if you can do, post a scan of the photo here.

If it is the cemetery at Dunbar Parish Church, depending on the angle the photo was taken from, you could have a large red sandstone church in the view, or the sea quite close. Some of this cemetery is on a gentle slope.

Google StreetView from the east side of the cemetery at Dunbar Parish Church

Google StreetView showing proximity of the cemetery by the Parish Church to the sea

If it is Deer Park Cemetery, that looks to be almost flat, with trees up one side of it; farm fields on two sides, and the road to the remaining side. I doubt you can see the sea from much of the cemetery; or if you can see the sea, it is further away than at the cemetery in the town.

Google StreetView at Deer Park Cemetery

ADP

Offline gjs1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 April 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
ADP

Unfortunately there is not a lot of background scenery, (unless you count what looks like a skip near the top right of the photograph).

Does it look as if there is a wall going along the top/back of the photograph? Or a white painted wall corner adjacent to the skip?

I have used both Google and Bing maps but neither give either sufficient resolution or proximity to determine  any of the headstones that can be seen using the maps.

I would be most grateful for any information any posters can provide.

Thanks in Advance

George

Offline gilmorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 April 18 04:01 BST (UK) »
George, it's hard to identify which burial ground is in the photo - both the Dunbar Parish Church graveyard and the Deer Park Cemetery have red sandstone walls.  From the number of newer headstones, I'd hazard a guess it's Deer Park.  If I get a chance when I get to Dunbar from Oz in the next few weeks, I'll have a bit of a look around.
Gillian

Offline gjs1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
I have just done a search on Find a Grave at both Dunbar parish church and Deer Park grave yards, nothing listed in either. That is not exceptional though as not all of the headstones are included in the lists, the parish church cemetery list is 56% and the Deer Park cemetery is 95%.

I have also tried to find out when Deer Park cemetery opened but I have come up with a blank on that as well, was it before or after 1958?

Ah well I will have to keep trying

Offline gilmorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
George, Deer Park opened well before 1958.  I'll post a query on the Lost Dunbar Facebook page and see if anyone can help.  Gillian

Offline Gavin Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 February 21 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, I live in Dunbar, recently I've been taking random pictures of headstones at Dunbar Parish Graveyard, uploading them to Find-a-Grave website with a little research on the people.

The picture of the Joseph Smith and Grace Hutton I am fairly confident that it is Deer Park Cemetery. Looking at the picture over the top right hand corner is the skip next to the pavilion. I go their also to lay flowers and because of lockdown/pandemic I can't visit my parents graves so I walk around here instead. Therefore why I recognise it.

People looking for relatives, I'd be happy to help with any and all, if you're happy to share dates and all names you know. It gives me something to do and it would be an honour.

Dunbar Parish Graveyard have no known online records accessible, however the history society have folders at the Town House which can be looked up. Given the closures I e-mailed them requesting a copy to help my research of the Graveyard. But I also know that the John Gray Centre above the Library in Haddington has quite a comprehensive list for reference too. Apparently 2 elderly ladies spent quite some time going around all the Graveyards and Cemeteries in East Lothian taking record. Also a couple of the parishes did likewise. Sadly you have to visit Haddington & Dunbar to access these records.
Wilson's of Fife & the Lothians
Bruce's of Aberdeenshire
Fell's of Lanarkshire
Dewar's of Dundee & Glasgow
Kay's of Glasgow & Leith & East Lothian
Dickson/Blair/Golightly of East Lothian

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 November 21 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Greetings All
Deerpark Cemetery check out the link https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/222472584/joseph-smith

Cheers