Author Topic: Ann Whitfield, born Halghton 1823  (Read 755 times)

Offline aceofspades

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Whitfield, born Halghton 1823
« on: Sunday 07 August 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to Ann Whitfield after 1871 when the census showed her working at a farm in Welshampton.
 She was born in Halghton in 1823, and her first son William was born in 1845, in the 1851 census, he was recorded as living with his grandparents Richard and Elizabeth, whilst Ann was working as a servant at the local Halghton Hall.
The 1861 Census shows her in the Ellesmere Union Workhouse with three more children, Ellis, Eliza and Alan.
In the 1871 census they had all left and were living at different addresses in the Welshampton, Hanmer and Halghton areas.
The trail then goes cold. I am posting this in the hope that someone else has perhaps researched Ann and discovered what happened to her after this time - did she marry and if so, to whom, and when and where did she die. She was my g g grandmother and I'm very curious as to what happened to her, any information would be gladly received.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Whitfield, born Halghton 1823
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 16 19:28 BST (UK) »
on that 1851 cen theres a charlotte whitfield aged 18 born halghton is that anns sister ? .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline aceofspades

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 16 20:29 BST (UK) »
I had seen that name and hadnt given it much consideration,  but now you mention it, I'll try and trace Charlotte's movements, i may get some clues from that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 16 06:21 BST (UK) »
1871 census
Ellis Whitfield b 1855 Halghton FLINTSHIRE an Employee working in Hanmer, Shropshire
Eliza Whitfield b 1859 Halghton FLINTSHIRE an employee working in Halghton Shropshire
Edward Whitfield b 1857 Halghton FLINTSHIRE an employee working in Hanmer Shropshire
William Whitfield b 1843 Halghton FLINTSHIRE in Halghton Shropshire

so I presume Halghton WAS in Flintshire but this became Shropshire - or are there 2 Halghtons ??
if Williams birth year is a mistake ( 1843 - you say 1845 ) it still leaves a 10 year gap between William and Ellis -
having looked at Halghton and area in the cenus there are a HUGE amount of Whitfield registered - is it possible Ann may have married another Whitfield ?  it just seems a little strange to go 10 years and then have 3 more illegitimate children Ellis / Eliza and Alan ....for the record I couldn't find an Alan Whitfield ....anyway - basically I am asking have you looked for a marriage for Ann Whitfield to a Whitfield ??
added
no marriages on freebmd

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 16 06:40 BST (UK) »
This would be Alan, from free bmd:
Births December quarter 1860
Alan Whitfield    Ellesmere    6a   621

probably Allen Whitfield in 1871 census.