Author Topic: William STONE  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Charon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William STONE
« on: Monday 08 August 16 03:41 BST (UK) »
I am trying to research a William STONE who married Edith Rose PEARCE in 1917 in Hammersmith, London.
I am also trying to research another William STONE who was the father of Alice STONE (married name WEBB, born 1899, married 1916 in Cheshunt).
I am led to believe by members of the family that the two Williams might have been related and were possibly travelling or Romany folk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William STONE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 August 16 05:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Charon.

Have you got the marriage certificate of William and Edith for further information. and the birth certificate of Alice for further information on the other William?

Offline Charon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 August 16 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response.

I have the GRO index for the marriage between William STONE and Edith R PEARCE in 1917 in Hammersmith. I also have her as a witness on her son's 1938 wedding certificate.

I have the marriage certificate of Alice STONE who married in 1916 giving her father as William STONE, a Labourer. Although it states Alice was 20, family members believe she was younger, and I cannot trace her or her family. I have searched between 1880 and 1905, including both BMD and Census.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 16 10:49 BST (UK) »
The actual marriage certificate for William and Edith would give Fathers' names and occupations, addresses, and possible ages, to help to pin William down.
Do you have a birth year for William, and who was their son?

Have you found a death for Alice Stone, and who was  the witness at her marriage?

Thanks.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
Charon; Stone, Webb and Pearce are all 'good' names. I'll be interested to watch how this one pans out  :)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Charon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 02:18 BST (UK) »
Chempat
The marriage certificate only shows the bride's father's name and occupation. A marriage certificate does not provide anything else about the respective fathers. William STONE, if he was present, did not act as a witness, so I don't have his signature or mark. As I said in my original post all I have is his name and occupation of Labourer. I can assume that he was in his 20s if his daughter was born in 1899 (although she gave her age as 20 at the time of the marriage) and therefore search for him being born ~1879. Alice was a Farm Worker in 1916 so I suspect she wasn't at home. Both the bride and groom's residence is given as only Cheshunt. In 1911 the only Alice Stones, born between 1895 and 1905  with a father William, were in Essex - he was an Account Book Binder, and in Bermondsey - he was a Bookmaker, in neither case a Labourer. None in Herts, Suffolk, Kent or Middlesex.
Alice had 4 children, all identified, and she died in 1948. Her gravestone says she was born in 1899, so would have actually been 17 when she married, not 20. Her death notice gives no useful information. A search of Alice Stones with father William gives 528 hits, none near Hertfordshire, and so I can't establish her mother's maiden name.
The two witnesses on the marriage certificate appear to be a brother and sister who lived on a farm in Waltham Abbey, near Cheshunt, and not related, since through 4 censuses of that family there is no mention of the bride or groom. The groom (real name Henry Morris) amended the certificate afterwards to add Webb to both his name and his signature, the name of the two witnesses, but we know that he was trying to hide his identity. Family rumour says he ran away from home and 'joined up with some gypsies' hence posting on this site. Henry signed his own name, with an educated hand different to the Vicar, while Alice and the two witnesses gave their marks (in 1916). Finding out about the groom has been challenging since he was under the radar between 1896 and 1916, but I think we've cracked that one. I just want to establish Alice's pedigree.
Can you suggest another approach?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 07:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat  :)

Do you have either couple on the 1939 register.  This should give a date of birth.

As chempat suggested the marriage certificate for William Stone & Edith would help with this couple

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Charon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99
I have the 1939 register for William and Edith Rose STONE. It gives d.o.b. I have their marriage certificate on order from GRO but as I said earlier it will only provide basic info about the parents. I know Edith's pedigree but it is William who is the difficulty.

Re: William STONE and his daughter Alice who married Henry MORRIS/WEBB, I have their marriage certificate. I was told earlier today that their grandson recollected them "living in a caravan" and she was possibly from the Royston/Baldock area. Not much to go on!!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie99
I have the 1939 register for William and Edith Rose STONE. It gives d.o.b. I have their marriage certificate on order from GRO but as I said earlier it will only provide basic info about the parents. I know Edith's pedigree but it is William who is the difficulty.

Could you tell us when he was born  ;)

At least the marriage cert should give a fathers name & occupation for William

Where were they living in 1939

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk