Author Topic: Anyone know where the Original Parish Registers for Cavers is now held  (Read 1116 times)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone know where the Original Parish Registers for Cavers is now held
« on: Monday 08 August 16 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to locate where the Original Old Parish Registers for Cavers might now be housed. Reason being. I have ordered in both versions of the LDS films available, (later one being 1951 Filming which is not indexed on FamilySearch). This film did give me the marriage I was looking for, but it also has massive gaps of black film on it as well. I know the births/baptisms of the children I am looking for must have been viewed at one time, as they appear on the Old IGI on microfiche of which I have a copy. These entries are NOT submission entries. I have found a number of Scottish entries by using the later films done in 1951, which as I have been advised via LDS are Not Indexed so the entries do not show up on FamilySearch Nor on Scotlandspeople web site. 
If anyone can advise where the Parish Register might be housed as I suspect I would need a researcher to look through them for me, I would appreciate the information. Thanks in advance.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know where the Original Parish Registers for Cavers is now held
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 August 16 07:27 BST (UK) »
They should be in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh. You can check their on-line catalogue.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 August 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
I have had a look in Ben Bloxham's"Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland" (a reworking of "Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland" published in 1872) the only registers he mentions are the ones you have already found. There appears to be an overlap in the registers between 1795 and 1807 as they are listed as 1694-1807 and 1795-1854. The comments on the state of the registers is "Birth: intermixed with marriages until 1754. Mother's names rarely recorded before 1806. Entries very irregular with respect to dates after 1780". I have also looked at SAFHS "Parish Registers in the Kirk Sessions Records of the Church of Scotland" by Diane Baptie but there is no mention of Cavers. The other option is that they were members of one of the secession churches the records of some are held by National Records of Scotland. A quick look through SAFHS "Registers of the Secession Churches in Scotland" does not show anything obvious or Cavers.

Eric

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 16 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eric and GR2, I know the registers are a mess just from looking at them so you do have to go through them very carefully and not just by the dates and also spellings can be wrong to what has been transcribed as well - all part of the fun I suppose. I will so a search and see where the registers are held and if they can still be searched.
thanks again.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Try the Heritage Hub in Hawick - a lot of record have been transferred there.

Offline amberdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 17:26 BST (UK) »