Author Topic: Birth look up please  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Re: Birth look up please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 March 17 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm quite prepared to believe that David Forbes went to South Africa.  He has a marginally less common name and was around for most of the census returns, but I can't find him.  The last sighting I have of him is 1852 when he competed at the Deeside Gathering.  The problem there is that the further away he moved, the more likely he is to give his place of birth as just 'Scotland".  Do you have family anecdotes or other clues?  Did other people from the area move with him?

I think finding the origins of John Forbes snr is going to be extremely difficult.  It is such a prolific name.  From Genuki I learn that in the 18th century Aboyne and Glentanner had separate churches, both in the district of Kincardine O'Neil and that the records are sadly wanting.  A couple of generations back from John snr there are Forbes a plenty in these places.  Unfortunately, probably too many to try to build families to see where your John might fit in.    Have you been able to check wills to see whether John is mentioned in one?  If he was a proprietor of houses he might have inherited them.

I am extremely glad that one of the little Toughs made it to Canada and prospered!

Good luck and happy hunting
Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline melsimba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 March 17 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Yes I have spent much time and effort trying to piece other families together from around  Aboyne Birse and a little in Angus. I think there was a history of Toll keepers within the Forbes families .I am still trying to contact the person who's Tree had David  Forbes included .
When I get rich I will send for the actual marriage and death certificate  .......but till then , thank you for the fresh ideas and interest .
            Melanie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 March 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »
When I get rich I will send for the actual marriage and death certificate

If they're on scotlandspeople.gov.uk (free to join), Credits cost £0.25p each and are available in batches of 30 (£7.50)BP

The marriage & death cert. would each cost 6 credits (£1.50)BP (£3.00 in total).

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline melsimba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 March 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I had thought it was in South Africa .....

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 March 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Ah, sorry, I didn't pay enough attention i.e. it won't be on SP.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline melsimba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 March 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I am being sent the death cert from someone  ,and i will let you know the results .......fingers crossed !

Offline Michael Ward Australia

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 07:59 BST (UK) »
The Peter Gordon you are searching for is a son of Peter Gordon (1765–1847) and Margaret Riach (1774–1817). Peter Gordon Snr was born at ‘Tilfogar’ to James Gordon and Jannet Smith (or Gow) and baptised 11 January 1766 at Crathie. Peter married Margaret Riach (also sp. ‘Reoch’) (1774–1817) on 27 August 1796 at Glenmuick. They had eight children. Peter Gordon died at ‘Khantore’ on 2 December 1847.

Peter Gordon Jnr (1812–1894)

Peter Gordon became a wood merchant and eventually retired to 9, Arbeadie Terrace, Banchory Ternan, Kincardineshire. He married Christina Brodie (1855–1932) late in life, and died on 19 April 1894, leaving John (b. 1877; d. 29 May 1901; Standerton, Gert Sibande, Mpumalanga, South Africa); James (b. 1879), and Peter Gordon (b. 9 October 1881).

See: www.familysearch.org

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 June 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
The Peter Gordon you are searching for is a son of Peter Gordon (1765–1847) and Margaret Riach (1774–1817). Peter Gordon Snr was born at ‘Tilfogar’ to James Gordon and Jannet Smith (or Gow) and baptised 11 January 1766 at Crathie. Peter married Margaret Riach (also sp. ‘Reoch’) (1774–1817) on 27 August 1796 at Glenmuick. They had eight children. Peter Gordon died at ‘Khantore’ on 2 December 1847.

Peter Gordon Jnr (1812–1894)

Peter Gordon became a wood merchant and eventually retired to 9, Arbeadie Terrace, Banchory Ternan, Kincardineshire. He married Christina Brodie (1855–1932) late in life, and died on 19 April 1894, leaving John (b. 1877; d. 29 May 1901; Standerton, Gert Sibande, Mpumalanga, South Africa); James (b. 1879), and Peter Gordon (b. 9 October 1881).

See: www.familysearch.org

Hi,

Perhaps a long shot but I have a Gordon marrying a Riach. Details are:

David Gordon & Christian Riach.
9th Sept 1770
Parish: Tarland and Migivie.

They are my 5x great-grandparents.

This is just north of Aboyne and Deeside, but falls under Aberdeenshire.

Unfortunately, I cannot pinpoint Christian Riach's baptism. There are a few with an alternate spelling of Reith, but they are all in a relatively close area so it could be any of them. Same problem with David Gordon.

I have the following children for David Gordon and Christian Riach/Reith;

William b.1771 - Old Machar
Charles b.1791 - Banchory-Devenick
Margaret b.1793 - Banchory-Devenick

I have no doubt there were probably more children to this couple but they don't appear to have been baptised or there are no records.

Just reaching out in case there is a connection here due to similar names marrying each other in the same time periods and area.

Liv.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline melsimba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 April 19 01:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all the added Gordon information .  I am sorry I have not had an opportunity to focus on Family history for quite a  while..I know Peter Gordon did come from quite a famous list of Gordons and his branch is well worth my time now that ive gotten the bug again .......
             PS    I am still in search of his child  Ann Gordon (or James )? with Mary Forbes ....which dissapeared from any records after 1871 census..........Cheers     Melanie