Author Topic: George Spring baptised St John's Church of Ireland  (Read 1859 times)

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Spring baptised St John's Church of Ireland
« on: Wednesday 10 August 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello
I wonder if anyone has heard of the following people from Limerick, I apologise I know so little. I have spent out on a sub with an Irish Genealogical site and got nowhere.

Name:George Spring
Baptism Date:27th December 1782
Baptism Place:Saint John, Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Father:William Spring
Mother:unknown

Some people say he married a lady called Bridget later  he married Eleanor Hurll [born C1800] from County Wicklow and they had eight children together ,he died in 1847 in Huntingdonshire, at the age of 65.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Spring baptised St John's Church of Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 14:54 BST (UK) »

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thank-you so much for your reply, I will look into what you have told me
Mary

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 20:35 BST (UK) »
This is a good site for Limerick.
http://limerickslife.com/limerick-family-history/
This will tell you what church records are available
https://beta.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf
Think you want page 70.

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 16 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for all your help.
I have bern looking into the naming patterns of Irish children, was this used a lot?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 16 10:34 BST (UK) »

Some people say he married a lady called Bridget later  he married Eleanor Hurll [born C1800] from County Wicklow and they had eight children together ,he died in 1847 in Huntingdonshire, at the age of 65.

Hello,

I am wondering who 'some people' are  ;). I know you have very little but it helps if you tell us what you have found.
I see the family in 1841.
Who and where do you have anyone next?
How do you know that George was born in Ireland?
He may have been a soldier who married an Irish woman. That is often seen.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 16 11:06 BST (UK) »
I have found bits re the family now but nothing which shows as yet, that George was born Ireland.

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 August 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
I am a voluntary researcher attached to a Family History Society and get asked by lots of friends to help them with their ancestry. So this is another friend I am trying to help.  A lady on Ancestry had done quite a lot of work on this particular Spring family. I did as much checking and research as I could on my own. I know that George's wife Eleanor was born in Ireland as her birthplace is given as Ireland on the 1851 census.  George died in 1847 and Ellen remarried a James Spriggs in 1849, her father is named as James Hurl on the marriage record .

It looks as if according to the 1841 census for Doddington, March that George Spring baptised 1782 in Limerick was 60 and that his wife Ellen [Eleanor] was 40 [20 years younger] children were Thomas aged 15 [probably died 1889 aged 62], Henry aged 9, James aged 5, Sarah aged 5 months[the only one born in County] living with them is a young Irish couple Thomas Carrak aged 25, Bridget Carrak aged 20 and James [writing illegible for age but a baby].

The lady who had done some  research into the family wrote the following " Having already established Irish ancestry through DNA, I traced George Spring senior and his wife Eleanor (nee Hurl) to Ireland, he from Limerick and she from County Wicklow. But due to the age of these records I cannot be certain they are accurate. If they are, George senior's father is William Spring, also born in Limerick and Eleanor's father is James Hurl who I have been unable to find much information about. It's some time since I researched that branch"

Thank-you for your interest . 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 August 16 22:56 BST (UK) »
I found the various family members in censuses and although Eleanor shows Wicklow, Ireland the children are all born in England.
There is a baptism to a George and Bridget, which perhaps is the one you refer to as a possible first wife. If that was correct, it would imply that George and Eleanor most likely married in England.
Other than the Limerick baptism, which may or may not be him, is there any other evidence that George was Irish?
1841 just shows 'not born in county' for George, Ellen and Thomas (although Thomas was baptised in Bourne, as the other younger ones) and 'born in county' for the other children yet for the young couple it shows Ireland.
I would say, that at the moment there is not enough evidence to claim the Limerick man - although it may be him.