Author Topic: Help find a marriage  (Read 701 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Help find a marriage
« on: Wednesday 10 August 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
I've just located a Shropshire marriage bond which I think could well be a marriage I've been wanting for ages.

Its Thomas Llewellin, farmer, age 27 & Sarah Bailey, age 22 of Whitchurch. Dated 8 June 1747, it states the marriage is to take place in Whitchurch or Tilstock.

However, I've looked for the marriage in the Whitchurch PRs for that period on FindMyPast and I can't find it! Tilstock, I'm pretty sure, would have come under the parish of Whitchurch.

So frustrating - a brickwall is cracking but it won't fall down! Can anyone help?  :-\

(If they're the right couple, Thomas & Sarah had their first daughter Elizabeth in 1748 a couple of miles away in Malpas, Cheshire and then the rest of their children were baptised in Whitchurch. However, the marriage doesn't appear to have taken place at Malpas either.)
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help find a marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 16 16:38 BST (UK) »
Not that it is much help but Tilstock was a chapelry with a perpetual curate at one time, however tha last appointment on the clergy database was 1717.

Shropshire archives claims to have parish records for Tilstock 1717-1999, but all I can see online are some baptisms on Familysearch, all dating from when the new church was built sometime in the1800s.

Mike

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Help find a marriage
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 16 12:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pointing that out, Mike.

I thought Tilstock was 'just' a chapelry within the Whitchurch parish and didn't have any separate PRs. I hadn't noticed there are some 1800s ones on FindMyPast - probably because they're much too late for my ancestors.

However, I've looked in my Phillimore's and Tilstock doesn't get a separate mention, so that's confusing. If Shropshire Archives are right (and they should know!) and there are Tilstock PRs from 1717 which aren't incuded under Whitchurch, that could very well explain why that 1747 marriage is not to be found.

I might drop Shropshire Archives an email and ask - they can only ignore me!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.