Author Topic: Burial Edith Crossley Cleckheaton  (Read 5111 times)

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Edith Crossley Cleckheaton
« on: Thursday 11 August 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
I am asking if anybody has access to obituaries in a newspaper in Cleckheaton.   I am a member of findmypast and also Ancestry and have looked in their newspaper records without any luck.

The lady in question is Edith Crossley - she died we understand in Cleckheaton and her death is registered as Dewsbury district June 1955  age 42.   I am helping her daughter try and find her mother's final resting place if indeed she was buried.   She may be listed as Edith I Crossley.    She was originally from the Hull area (Withernsea) and could be buried there.    I thought if I could find an obituary it may give a clue as to where to start looking.   I am not even sure which paper it would be in if in fact it did get put in a paper.

thanks

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Burial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 16 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I just had a quick look on "Find a Grave" and the lady is not on there, I actually thought she was but the death on that particular record was June 1954 and in Farnworth Greater Manchester.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 16 14:02 BST (UK) »
I have looked on Findagrave, Billion graves and Gravestone Photographic Resource

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 16 14:03 BST (UK) »
I have looked on Findagrave, Billion graves and Gravestone Photographic Resource

Sorry, I was not aware of that.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Do you have the death certificate? you may be able to narrow the area down a bit if the actual place of death is shown.

Frank.

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello - I don't have the certificate -  the lady whose mother it is does not have it either - no idea why not.  she had an idea that she might have been buried at Liversedge cemetery at Clough Lane but Kirklees council have checked this and also Whitechapel at Cleckheaton but nothing there.

Regards

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 16 15:59 BST (UK) »
I think the local paper would be the Spenborough Guardian, but it's close enough to Bradford for it to possibly be in the Telegraph and Argus. But unless the lady was particularly well-known for some reason, you're more likely to find a small death notice than a full obituary.

The death certificate could be useful. As well as the place of death (you have Dewsbury district from the index, which includes Cleckheaton), it should give her usual residence, which could be a clue as to where she was buried.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 August 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
We think the address was Towngate, Cleckheaton

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 August 16 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

You said she was from Hull, have you looked in the Hull papers. You could also try the Dewsbury Reporter.

She could be buried in Birstal or Liversedge Churches.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb